Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Glow plug control unit(?)  (Read 4179 times)

December 25, 2004, 01:16:56 am

mcd96

Glow plug control unit(?)
« on: December 25, 2004, 01:16:56 am »
Hello

I'm currently sorting out some cold start issues with my '96 T/D.  I've replaced the plugs, 50amp fuse, and the relay.  

I have a Haynes repair manual purchased from Canadian Tire that appears to be produced in the UK(it is proving to be.....not so useful).  In this manual, they mention a glow plug control unit that is located above the fuse/relay panel behind the dash.  According to Haynes, this unit coincides with the coolant temp. sensor in order to determine the length of time the glow plugs light up for.  

I have located two "unit" type boxes above the fuse/relay panel adjacent to the back of the headlight switch.  

I have yet to find ANY mention of this, glow plug control unit in this forum, tdiclub.com, or vwvortex.  Is this unit non existant on north american vw's?  Does it have another alias?  OR, is this twisted, bizarre English humour, designed to lead one to dismantle one's whole dash in order to find.............a picture of John Clease, farting in your general direction!?
(its late, ignore the last question)

Please enlighten me

Thank you

Marc

Reply #1December 25, 2004, 08:54:56 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

Glow plug control unit(?)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2004, 08:54:56 am »
The glow time control module is plugged into the fuse/relay panel near the top. It is twice the width of the other relays and is sometimes marked "136". The actual glow plug current switching relay is down in the lower right corner of the fuse/relay panel, I think you've already found this one.

What you have found up above are likely the alarm and cruise control modules.

S-PAutomotive.com