Author Topic: Timing a AAZ  (Read 3082 times)

December 22, 2004, 01:35:57 am

asau

Timing a AAZ
« on: December 22, 2004, 01:35:57 am »
on my bently it says to time my aaz i need to line up the flywheel but i don't have a vw flyhweel on my motor. the motor does run but BADLY, the injection pump is not correct i believe, is there a way to time it without having to have the flywheel?

Reply #1December 22, 2004, 09:20:35 am

Topherdiesel

• Junior

Timing a AAZ
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 09:20:35 am »
The flywheel tells you simply that the piston is at TDC on cyl 1, so without the marks, I suppose you could pull injector #1, and do the old screwdriver trick??
I dunno if this right???

Reply #2December 22, 2004, 03:51:23 pm

asau

Timing a AAZ
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 03:51:23 pm »
well with the swirl chamber i don't think i can do the screwdriver trick. i think the crank and cam are timed correctly cause the engine runs but barely, just the injection pump jumped sliped. can i time the injection pump by ear without the flywheel?

Reply #3December 23, 2004, 03:16:08 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Timing a AAZ
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 03:16:08 am »
what flywheel are you using?
for accurate timing you need an acdurate indictaion of top dead center.
If you flywheel has no marks on it, the proper thing to do would be yank off the head, use a dial indicator and a degree wheel (or something similar) and make your own mark on the flywheel.  I can think of a few ways to ballpark it without using the above method, but in these cases, you might as well save the effort and "time" it by ear.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #4December 23, 2004, 11:28:29 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

Timing a AAZ
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 11:28:29 am »
You can determine TDC on an assembled engine by using a "stop" of some kind. We used to do it on motorcycles by using a super long dummy spark plug. You first attach a degree wheel. Then insert the stop with the piston near BDC and turn the motor in both directions until it stops, marking the degree wheel at each extreme. The point in the middle of the 2 marks is TDC. Chisel a line on the flywheel at this point and you're done.

You could do the same with a VW diesel by pulling the cam and propping one valve open with a makeshift tool, then (carefully) use it as your "stop". You might also be able to stick something in through the injector and prechamber opening large enough to stop the piston against the head. A welding rod or something might do it. Just make sure you don't bend it over and make it impossible to remove.

I have determined TDC on an engine without a flywheel by sticking a dial indicator through the injector/prechamber opening using a very long and very fine extension. I think it was just a piece of 4-40 threaded rod that screwed into the indicator Not sure how well you're equipped but this is by far the easiest way...

Reply #5December 23, 2004, 11:58:47 am

asau

Timing a AAZ
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 11:58:47 am »
i am using a toyota flywheel but it isn't maked. Not to sound like a tard ;) but could you please explain the time it by ear method :)

Reply #6December 24, 2004, 09:56:46 pm

asau

Timing a AAZ
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 09:56:46 pm »
would it be safe to assume (even though the timing obviously jumped) that the cam and crank are timed together since i can start the engine and it will idle?

i called vw about the cam lock and it is 65.75. is there a alternative that works just as well?

the injection pump lock is 16.50. is there an alterate for that one also?

the belt tension guage is 140.95 :(. i really need an alternate for this, also it says 12-13 index marks for the guage, does anyone have real measurements of what the 12-13 index is so i can use some kind of scale?

the vac guage adaptor is 27.90. i need an alternate for this also :(

i suspect that the injection pump has jumped, but even if i am able to move the pump a tooth or two i will still need the belt tension guage, vac guage adaptor, cam lock and injection pump lock :(. do i just have to bite the bullet and buy these special tools? are these special tools 1.9t specific or also used on tdi and the 1.6 diesels to help soften the cost?

S-PAutomotive.com