Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Guys, Wastegate operation and 1.9 VE pump questions...  (Read 3097 times)

December 21, 2004, 07:18:25 am

DieselMonkey

• Junior

Guys, Wastegate operation and 1.9 VE pump questions...
« on: December 21, 2004, 07:18:25 am »
Guys,

I'm just after stripping and rebuilding the K03 turbo for my project of turbocharging a 1.9D (naturally asp.). I didnt strip the bearing assembly, just both wheel housings for cleaning.

Put the turbo on another 1.9AAZ engine i have here just to try it... going very well, sounds good, spools good and no oil leaks in the compressor housing, however i noticed that there was no movement in the wastegate at all.  :cry:

I revved the motor from about 1000 > 2200 and no wastegate operation. I asked someone about it and they said the wastegate will not actuate unless there is a load on the engine (in gear, driving). Surely the turbo will do the same job in relation to engine revs if its in gear or not in gear. Can anyone explain this to me. Before it was fitted, the rod moved fine, and when running, i physically opened the wastegate by hand. Any ideas ?  :?

Lastly, i've asked this before, and just want peace of mind about it. I'm keen to start this conversion soon but the only thing stopping me right now is the pump issue. I have a 1.9TD pump with boost enrichment device. Trouble is, both pumps (my 1.9NA incl.) are immobilised and i dont want the trouble of having both pumps stripped by a pro, to have them switched, nor do i want to eliminate it from the pump completely.

The turbo is going on a car that WILL NOT be driven on a regular basis. Very rarely infact. Its just something i've wanted to do for a while since i picked the K03 up at a good price.  :)

Will my 1.9 N/A pump yeild a reasonable increase with the turbo added, matched to shimmed injectors @ 155 / 160 bar. I dont mind a moderate amount of smoke. It will be intercooled also, and a EGT added. In fact, if the TD pump is used, it could create problems with the pipework going from the compressor to the front mounted intercooler (lack of under-bonnet space in that area, and i wanted that pipe straight, not 'dog-legged' around the enrichment device.

any comments about the wastegate or N/a pump, much appreciated.

Thanks again, Regards, DM.

Reply #1December 21, 2004, 09:19:02 am

farkman

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 09:19:02 am »
It's true, a turbo won't produce boost unless there is a load on the engine.

Reply #2December 21, 2004, 09:34:42 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 09:34:42 am »
I would agree. A turbo won't do anything until you have a significant load on the engine. Revving my 1.9TD to redline will only get a 1-2PSI, nowhere near enough to open the wastegate.

I don't know about your NA pump. If it has the same plunger size and camplate stroke as the TD pump you can expect to be able to get a similar quantity of fuel out of it, with some tweaking of course. Marc (Redrotors) might be able to help determine this if you can get him the pump number. The only problem with the NA pump is that you won't be able to "hold off" the fuel until the boost arrives, so it will be smokey off boost.

Reply #3December 21, 2004, 05:51:59 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

I see, interesting though !
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 05:51:59 pm »
I see the point on the EGT / boost. Didnt see that coming !

Onto the pump, before i bought my first VW Diesel and became interested in VW Diesel's, i'd never come across an injection pump with boost enrichment. I used to work on large Diesel's (Ford Agri., Perkins, Cummin's B Series etc...) and this was new to me. No large Diesel's that i work on have such a device, however i think Ford New Holland pulled 240 hp from a 7.5L (6 cyl. T & Inter.) using a 'boost aneroid', thats the first time i had come across this phrase, only seen one engine in person, and didnt even notice it. But how come all these engines (vast majority) can produce great power etc... without boost enrichment. The only thing that changes in large D / TD's is the breaking pressure of the injectors, and possibly pump timing / delivery. Just wondering,..... smoke doesnt seem excessive either.

I will carry out the project leaving in place the N/A pump, and if really necessary, i will have the TD pump rebuilt.

I will post any information i can find on the pump and maybe someone can identify the spec, plunger size, stroke etc... But basically, it looks the same as the 1.9 TD - VE pump, with out the boost enrichment.

One thing i have noticed (not 100% sure about this....) Peugeot used to use a K03 turbo and a Bosch VE pump (with enrichment) on the 306 D Turbo, but towards the end of their model run, i am quite sure i noticed them using Lucas CAV pumps without boost enrichment. And most of these cars do pull away leaving a trail of smoke.

I have one other small question.... i was reading a turbo handbook supplied by Holset, a very good turbo manufacturer for Cummins. They produce about 7 different models of turbo, their smallest, still larger than a K03 or Garrett, only has an oil feed 'through-put' of 2 / 3 litres per minute. i would have thought a turbo as small as the K03 would require at least 3 / 4 litres of oil a minute, never mind a larger one. Do turbo's generally require such a small amount ?

All further comments much appreciated. Regards, DM

Reply #4December 21, 2004, 08:12:01 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 08:12:01 pm »
I think you're a little confused. I used to have a Kenworth truck with an 855 inch big cam 1 400 horse cummins. Any cummins I ever saw with a turbo and a gear pump (PT pump) has a line from the intake manifold to the fuel pump for just this purpose. The adjustment for this thing is the screw and locknut under the cover directly behind the throttle lever (around the throttle shaft). The newer 8.3litre cummins I use at work(bosch pump, Champion road grader) and a couple of L10's (roadgrader and dump truck with gear pumps) are also similarily equipped. Probably a terminology issue. The 354 perkins in my 3/4 ton 4 door chev pickup (homebuilt) is a natural and therefore has no such adjusment or line. I've seen 8.3's rated for 275 horse, and L10's at 350 horse.

Reply #5December 22, 2004, 12:40:13 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

Cummins
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 12:40:13 pm »
The only cummins i work on are the B series, and i've never seen a boost enrichment device on these engines. (4 cyl. 3.9L agricultural applications anyway). Pretty good engines, apart from the cylinder heads which i find a bit light, could have been 'beefed' up a bit. The 5.9L is a particularly good unit. The units i have worked on are British built and with a CAV pump, possibly others use a Bosch pump with enrichment. Doubtful though, the other machines in this class (New Holland, JD and Perkins) dont use enrichment on their engines.

Your homebuilt Perkins... is it turboed and is smoke excessive ?

Regards, Matt

Reply #6December 22, 2004, 06:32:40 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 06:32:40 pm »
No turbo on my Perkins, naturally aspirated. The ones i've seen in agricultural applications with turbos (Massey, White tractors etc.) don't have boost enrichment but then again who cares if a tractor gives a shot of smoke when you hit it? I do have a bit of smoke out of the perkins, but not a lot as I had the pump set to spec when it was rebuilt, and the opening pressure on the injectors is set high. It has a CAV pump with a hydraulic governor setup (automotive application) as opposed to the mechanical governor setup I'm used to seeing on farm equipment. Very sensitive to a dirty fuel filter! will still run, but surges bad under part load. I'll have to check the 5.9 at work (710 Champion road grader, 1986 model) to see if there's a boost enrichment setup or not. I do know it's a Bosch pump. The bigger Cummins engines I'm used to use their own gear pump for injection. The punp just builds pressure, and the injectors are run off the same camshaft as the valves. Open up the top of the engine and you see three rockers per cylinder.