S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: aussie diesel vs alfa GTV  (Read 2583 times)

May 03, 2007, 01:34:26 am

gldgti

• Veteran

• http://scramjetsite.8m.com
aussie diesel vs alfa GTV
« on: May 03, 2007, 01:34:26 am »
hey guys, thought you might appreciate a story from down under ;-)

driving home from work a few weeks back, i decided to take an "old road" nice twisting sealed road north of sydney. its just after dusk and traffic is light, i have about 35km's of bends to get home.

as i start to wind it up once i'm out of the built up areas, i catch up to an old alfa romeo GTV, mid 70's very nicely done up, sitting nicely on the road. i came up on him quite fast, and he seemd to be enthused.

the road isn't in any way conducive to passing, but he punches it and takes off from about 80km (50mph). i stick it into 3rdin my n/a 1.5 and try to keep pace.

the road has very few straight corners, and gradients are up and down, but my little '79 golf is lowered with sway bars, running good tyres and though he's entering corners at double the recommended speed, im having no trouble catching him.

we go through a cycle of him getting ahead on anyhting straight, then i catch him on the  corners. fortunately, theres no straight uphill bits and 3rd is enough to keep up when going up hills.

he keeps the pace up, for about 20km, both of us having a lot of fun. i can see his rear end bounding across the bumps on the uneven corners. the golf is planted .

as we reach the next town, he's turning right and i'm going left. as i get along side, i wind down the window and give the thumbs up. he's already got his hand out the window doing the same thing.

one of the most fun 35km of my life :-)

'77 Golf LS 4 door twincharger project
'91 Golf Cabrio 1.9TD
'94 Golf TD - AAZ, 2.5" Mandrel DP and exhaust, Merc T3 1.6TD boost pin, FMIC, Koni suspension, VR6 Brakes, VR6 Seats, VR6 sway-bars - sadly missed
'07 SKODA Octavia 1.9 TDI PD - Remapped ECU

Reply #1May 03, 2007, 07:03:57 am

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 07:03:57 am »
i love mk1's
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #2June 29, 2007, 08:55:00 am

IRoll

• User+

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 08:55:00 am »
Wow, What an awesome story! I love having friendly races with strangers.

Thanks for sharing.

-E
How fast?
As fast as it takes.

S-PAutomotive.com