S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: A3 Poor heater output  (Read 6495 times)

December 20, 2004, 09:52:28 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

A3 Poor heater output
« on: December 20, 2004, 09:52:28 am »
The current cold snap has me wishing my heater worked better. At present it only blows lukewarm to cold. The heat is not sufficient to defrost the windows, even after an hour of driving. I have to keep a credit card handy to scrape the glass as I drive. This has been an ongoing problem with my car (97 jetta 1.9TD). Needless to say its getting a bit tiresome. The coolant temp reads normal (90ºC) and I have stuck a thermometer in the reserve bottle to confirm the temp as well. Both heater hoses are hot as well. I have monkeyed with the blend door adjustment to ensure that it is in fact going all the way to "heat", so far no joy.

I'm thinking its a problem with airflow through the heater core. The hot heater hoses would seem to indicate that hot coolant is reaching the core but the air must be bypassing it somehow. Has anyone had an A3 heater heater box apart? I'm wondering if the blend door is covered with foam like the A2's and its disintegrating. I haven't noticed any foam coming from the vents, but you never know...

Reply #1December 24, 2004, 06:19:27 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

A3 Poor heater output
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 06:19:27 pm »
It's a lousy time of year to do it, but the first thing I'd do is pull the lines off the core and hook a garden hose up to it, and run water through it , both directions three or four times. If anyone ever put any kind of leakstop in it, it could be partly plugged. Ran across this a few times, and it's an easy fix if that's what the problem is. Go for the air doors and the vacuum controls after that.

Reply #2December 24, 2004, 09:52:16 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
A3 Poor heater output
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 09:52:16 pm »
QuickTD - does your '97 have one of those cabin air filters?  When those get clogged, the defroster stops working effectively.  I've got a B4 (1995) Passat VR6 wagon that is about 2000 miles short of having the cabin filter service interval trigger a replacement, but it's not defogging effectively and the airflow out of the defrost system seems inadequate.  I think it's a clogged cabin filter, so I'm going to go ahead and replace the cabin filter even though it's before the interval.  The car just can't get defrosted with this clogged cabin filter...  I can't remember if an A3 model like yours has the cabin filter or not, but it's definitely something to check out...  good luck.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #3December 24, 2004, 10:54:42 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

A3 Poor heater output
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 10:54:42 pm »
No cabin filter (GL model, not GLS) and the airflow is fine, just cold. The heater core has been flushed with both compressed air and running water. The cooling system has never seen any "stop leak" treatments, it has never had a leak. I can assure you the heater core is clear. Both heater hoses are very hot while the heater continues to deliver poor heat. The coolant has been changed a few times and is clear, never had any rust or sediment. It has to be the blend door, its the only thing I haven't touched... I'd like to hear from someone who has been into an A3 heater box. I want to confirm my diagnosis of failed foam covering on the blend door. Has anyone seen this? Same as an A2?

Reply #4December 25, 2004, 07:15:49 am

Patrick

• Veteran

A3 Poor heater output
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 07:15:49 am »
Haven't been into that car specifically, but it sounds to me like you've covered all the bases. Looks like you've got to get into the box, something's got to be letting the air flow past the core instead of through it! Is there vacuum controls on the door? something plugging the outside of the core? Just guessing...................

Reply #5December 25, 2004, 08:37:49 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

A3 Poor heater output
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2004, 08:37:49 am »
Looks like you've got to get into the box, something's got to be letting the air flow past the core instead of through it!

Yeah, that's pretty much where I'm at. I'm not loving the idea of pulling the dash. I'm wondering If I can just pull the console and repair the blend door through the opening in the front of the heater box, the A2 guys can do it. There are no vacuum controls for anything other than the fresh air/recirculate function. I have diconnected the cable and operated the blend door manually from under the heater box without success. Guess I'll just rip it apart over the holiday...

Reply #6December 25, 2004, 07:27:07 pm

Patrick

• Veteran

A3 Poor heater output
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2004, 07:27:07 pm »
Good luck! Had to pull everything to get the heater cor out of the 92 Jetta.................

Reply #7February 06, 2005, 02:12:04 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

A3 Poor heater output
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 02:12:04 pm »
I tacked my heat gremlin today. Turns out the idiots on the assembly line dropped a screw inside the heater box. The screw lodged in the pivot point of the blend door and prevented it from closing properly. That would explain why the control always felt a little funny toward the "hot" end of the scale. The sheet metal door would flex enough that the control knob would go all the way to "hot" but the door had a 3/4" gap for cold air to bypass the heater core. I can't believe that screw stayed stuck in there for the last 170000km... All I really had to do was turn the car upside down and shake it and it would have been fixed... :D

Now I just have to reassemble it. Wish me luck...

Reply #8February 10, 2005, 11:37:36 pm

MK3 GTD

• User+

A3 Poor heater output
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 11:37:36 pm »
ahh, good old a3 heater cores, did you end up taking the dash out? i remember changing my heater core last summer, not the funnest of jobs and what a whack load of very thin wires off the back of the fuse box, still gives me nightmares  :?
1996 Golf 1.9TD
1984 Rabbit 1.6TD
1987 Jetta Coupe 1.6D

Reply #9February 10, 2005, 11:58:03 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

A3 Poor heater output
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 11:58:03 pm »
did you end up taking the dash out?

Oh yeah, it was a mess. The entire dash as well as the console and the steel support beam. I did manage to preserve the charge in the AC by unclipping the heater box from the evaporator housing while it was still in the car. Requires gynecologists fingers but it can be done. The good news is I have killer heat now, enough to suck all the heat right out of the motor if I don't drive fast enough...

Reply #10February 15, 2005, 03:26:13 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
A3 Poor heater output
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 03:26:13 am »
Nice work!
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #11February 15, 2005, 02:18:35 pm

MacGyver