S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Timing belt wear  (Read 4499 times)

December 18, 2004, 03:11:41 pm

86AAZ

Timing belt wear
« on: December 18, 2004, 03:11:41 pm »
Hi, I'm new to this discussion board.  I joined because I have an 86 Jetta with a 1.9L AAZ TD swapped in.  I am having trouble with my timing belt wearing against the harmonic balancer.  I am from New Mexico, so I have never seen an AAZ like it is equipped from the factory.  Does it have a flanged oil pump pulley, like the 1.6 TD does?  My engine has an oil pump pulley with no flanges on it, so I thin that is what is letting the timing belt wear against the harmonic balancer.  
   Thanks alot!  
P.S.  Also, I'm not getting great mileage.  I'm getting around 35 mpg.  I have a 1.6 injector pump and the car does not smoke, so I thought I'd be getting great mileage.  The engine only has about 700 miles on it, so the fuel economy might improve.  What is typical mileage from one of these engines?

Reply #1December 18, 2004, 11:46:22 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

Timing belt wear
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 11:46:22 pm »
The AAZ does not have flanges on the intermediate shaft shaft pulley. The only pulley that is flanged is the tensioner. Sometimes the injection pump bracket can get misaligned and cause belt tracking issues. I have a VW TSB on the subject somewhere... Basically the fix involves removing the pump, loosening the pump bracket bolts, pressing down on the belt end of the bracket and lifting on the opposite end and then having a helper re-tighten the bolts. The belt will always "walk" toward the tight end. Tipping the pump pulley down a bit in this fashion will make it track toward the engine.

As for the mileage, I would check your timing. Run it a bit advanced from stock for best power and mileage. I would think 1.00mm would be good. Mileage varies but I would think a properly timed (not set to stock spec :D ) 1.9TD should get low to mid 40's (US gallons).

Reply #2December 20, 2004, 09:10:58 pm

86AAZ

Timing belt wear
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 09:10:58 pm »
Thanks for the help.  I'm not completely sure, though, how to tilt the pump.  I tried putting a washer between the pump and the mounting bracket, but it didn't help.  Is there any way I can find the TSB you referenced?  If you know the number, I might be able to find it online.  It doesn't seem to be a very common problem though, so maybe not.
Thanks again!

Reply #3December 20, 2004, 09:13:01 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

Timing belt wear
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 09:13:01 pm »
I can email it to you if you like. Is the address in your profile OK? I think it's only a few kilobytes...

Reply #4December 21, 2004, 10:40:29 am

86AAZ

Timing belt wear
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 10:40:29 am »
Yes, you can send it to that address!  Thank you very much.