Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Oil out of oil cap  (Read 2029 times)

December 07, 2004, 08:30:00 pm

shakakan

• User+

Oil out of oil cap
« on: December 07, 2004, 08:30:00 pm »
My 91 Jetta is leaking oil out of the oil filler cap. I know this is due to excessive blowby, and I should rebuild the motor, but.... I am a poor college student, and a rebuild is not in the cards right now. Anyway, the motor starts and runs well, even when cold (though it hasn't got blow 25 this winter yet) It does not burn much oil, less than a quart between changes, but it is leaking alot. Anyway, my question is what can I do to stop the flow of oil out the back of my motor till I rebuild. I am considering adding some Restore to it to see if there is any reduction in the blowby. I am sure others have had this problem. Just wanted to know if anyone has a solution.

I will probably rebuild the motor this summer, when I have time, money, and a shop to work in.

Reply #1December 09, 2004, 11:13:56 am

shakakan

• User+

Oil out of oil cap
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 11:13:56 am »
anyone?

Reply #2December 09, 2004, 12:14:39 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Oil out of oil cap
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 12:14:39 pm »
you might check the gasket under the cap. if it's in good shape, make sure the OE crank vent system isn't plugged up with oil goo or whatever. If both those check out, add another breather and pipe it to the intake!
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #3December 10, 2004, 11:22:42 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: Oil out of oil cap
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 11:22:42 pm »
Quote from: "shakakan"
My 91 Jetta is leaking oil out of the oil filler cap. I know this is due to excessive blowby, and I should rebuild the motor, but.... I am a poor college student, and a rebuild is not in the cards right now. Anyway, the motor starts and runs well, even when cold (though it hasn't got blow 25 this winter yet) It does not burn much oil, less than a quart between changes, but it is leaking alot. Anyway, my question is what can I do to stop the flow of oil out the back of my motor till I rebuild. I am considering adding some Restore to it to see if there is any reduction in the blowby. I am sure others have had this problem. Just wanted to know if anyone has a solution.

I will probably rebuild the motor this summer, when I have time, money, and a shop to work in.

Same thing happened to my rebuilt Jetta TD about two weeks ago.  I bought a new oil cap from the vw dealer for $7.  Cured the problem.  Try it and see.  Might work for you. (I originally went to the dealer to get a new gasket for the oil cap, but the gasket actually costs more than a new cap and gasket, and the guy at the counter said that replacing the gasket wouldn't work anyway because there is some sort of spring in the cap that puts pressure on the gasket and it would also be worn out).
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

S-PAutomotive.com