Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Help...Diesel Noob Here  (Read 2735 times)

March 28, 2007, 02:10:37 pm

volvoteen

Help...Diesel Noob Here
« on: March 28, 2007, 02:10:37 pm »
Just bought a volvo 240 diesel car its N/A but i do wanna turbo it...i dont know anything about modding them tho...can anyone point me in the right direction about gettin some power and go-fast out of the car...its in GR8 shape with only 30k miles so it should be able to handle pretty much anything at this point...Help would be greatly appreciated!

Wat it boils down 2 is that we are all just car guys

Reply #1April 01, 2007, 09:52:09 am

IRoll

• User+

Help...Diesel Noob Here
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2007, 09:52:09 am »
Hey, Awesome find. Its cool to see another volvo diesel driver.

Alright someone could easily say different, but I have heard that the volvo diesels don't take to turbocharging as well as the vw diesels. That you can do it, they just don't last. That alot of the internals are different, and of course they don't have oil squirters. This could just be totally bogus, it's not from experience its just something I've heard. Volvo did have a turbo diesel in the 700 series.

If it is true, or you just want some power now without a turbo, here's a thread: ( think most of those upgrades should be the same on your car)
http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=4391

Good luck man. Keep us posted.

-E
How fast?
As fast as it takes.

Reply #2April 01, 2007, 12:25:21 pm

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

Help...Diesel Noob Here
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 12:25:21 pm »
I think that, if you are going to turbocharge it, at a bare minimum you should install a good quality set of head studs and replace the headgasket. And of course the EGT gauge before the turbine inlet. The studs and gasket are to help ensure that you don't blow the latter; with as long as that engine is, it's going to have a little harder time sealing than a tiny little four cylinder. From what I understand, sealing problems are somewhat characteristic of most inline six diesels.

Look into the differences between the 700 series turbodiesels and the 200 series NA diesels; Volkswagen/Volvo apparently did a good job with their changes to allow it to run a turbo, as the 700 TDs are from what I understand quite a reliable car.

Reply #3April 02, 2007, 07:17:21 pm

volvoteen

Help...Diesel Noob Here
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 07:17:21 pm »
Thanks guys...i appreciate your input...and i really like the name "IRoll"...not many people know that thats wat volvo means...cant wait to get started...i think i will need to prep the engine for a turbo tho...i want POWAH!
Wat it boils down 2 is that we are all just car guys

Fixmyvw.com