Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: removing the boost enrichment device  (Read 2161 times)

December 06, 2004, 09:48:23 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

removing the boost enrichment device
« on: December 06, 2004, 09:48:23 pm »
Anyone know if you can remove the boost enrichment device on top of the turbo diesel pump?  It blocks access to the #2 cylinder fuel injector and I would like to take it off so I can install 4 new injectors I just got in the mail.  If I just remove it, will I damage anything?

88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #1December 07, 2004, 11:03:19 pm

MK3 GTD

• User+

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 11:03:19 pm »
you can remove it but it is the top cover for the pump internals and you also have to disconnect the throttle linkage inside the pump to get it off. This can be difficult and if you havent done it before, i would get someone who has to help you. Personally ive never had a problem removing injectors with it in place before. Do you have a socket for them or are you using a wrench? If it is in the way, i think its simpler to remove the whole pump and retime it if you know how.
1996 Golf 1.9TD
1984 Rabbit 1.6TD
1987 Jetta Coupe 1.6D

Reply #2December 08, 2004, 01:07:58 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 01:07:58 am »
I think it would be easier still to just mark the position of the pump, loosen the pump hold-down fasteners (the ones that you loosen to change pump timing), probably also loosen the 4 fuel unions connecting the hardlines to the pump unions (be sure to catch the spilled diesel fuel with something absorbent - try and keep the diesel off of your rubber coolant hose), and then rotate the top of the pump away from the head to gain clearance to the injectors.  Then when finished with removing / reinstalling the #2 injector, reset the orientation of the pump to it's original marked position to restore the timing and re-tightening the fuel line unions and pump hold-down fasteners.

If you want to change this so you can get easier access to the injectors in the future (without messing with your pump position), change your injection pump pulley orientation by one tooth so the pump sits properly timed with the LDA farther away from the head, and/or get a slimmer / lower profile injector socket / extension setup.  Hope this helps - good luck.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #3December 08, 2004, 02:01:09 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 02:01:09 pm »
Thanks guys.  I know how to time the pump so I'm just going to mark its position and tilt it back, then when I am finished I will move it back again and re time it just to be sure.  Sounds like the easier method.  The only cylinder I can't get the injector out of is #2 because the pump is in the way.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now