Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Many Questions.......1.9TD (AAZ) Engine code  (Read 8295 times)

May 20, 2004, 05:32:34 pm

DieselMonkey

• Junior

Many Questions.......1.9TD (AAZ) Engine code
« on: May 20, 2004, 05:32:34 pm »
Hello.

You may remember i e-mailed a few days ago about the 1.9D to TD conversion. I have quite a few questions here.

I viewed a mk3 Golf tonight with the 1.9TD (AAZ) engine. For a start, it was actually slower through the gears than my 1.9D, and it had just recently had over £600 spent on the motor after a timing belt issue. Needed the head skimmed, 5 new valves, all seats re-ground. I wasnt interested in buying but just wanted to see the setup for my conversion.

But anyway, the last AAZ engine i drove was pretty quick compared to this. But could i ask about this timing belt issue on these engines. On the TDIClub.com forum there has come to light a crankshaft pully problem on this engine (AAZ), what exactly is it. The owner of this car kept going on about the crank pully coming loose and moving back and forth so i take it, it also upsets the timing and not just the water pump belt etc... (I've never had the need to look into this area on my motor). But i just thought it was the tensioner screw had loosend and let the belt jump a few notches cause he said it was still running but smoking a lot, thus, incorrect fueling. Anyway, my engine is a 1Y, an AAZ without the turbo and other parts. So if this is an issue on my engine too, i would like to do some 'preventative maint.' before my top end gets damaged.

I looked at the electronic parts on the pump and it seems they are direct replacments on my standard pump so no problem there, only need the correct injector lines and possibly injectors. This was a 1995 engine and for the record, had the larger 2-stage injectors and noticably different union connections.

Turbo - no whistle AT ALL ! dissapointed there cause i will be using the same turbo (KKK K03). My turbo needs re-conned, should i have it re-conned to standard spec. or should i send it to a firm here in the UK called 'Turbo Technics' who will do a little more work for just a little more money, e.g 360 degree bearings (can anyone explain what exactly this is about, obviously the shaft is on bearings, the shaft is perfectly round (no surprise there) and so, i would have thought it has 360 degree bearings anyway !....) and possibly changes to the compressor and exh. turbine housings amoungst other things. Any suggestions as to what i could request for work on the turbo, they are geared towards hybrid turbo's and one off's etc... and dont charge much more than just the standard re-con.

The fuel enrichment device on the pump had one single pressure connection, just the inlet manifold one.... i was confused as i had seen others with a second connection (Peugeot 306 DTurbo) and this pump had a blanked 'cap' for a second connection. Anyway, the small outlet on the turbo's wastegate actuator (Which is also asked about in my last post) was just running into the EGR pipes that operate the EGR valve, i sense this was just to 'dump' it somewhere as the vacuum pump would surely collect enough pressure and work without this.  Can anyone suggest what this outlet on the actuator is for ? Its a pipe with an Internal Dia. of about 2.5 / 3 mm and is at the very back of the actuator - i just want to know what to do with it as my EGR is working they way it should (at least it thinks it does, the valve opens and closes but there isnt any gas flowin' !) when it comes to the conversion i could turn up a small fitting and after some drilling and tapping, just pipe it into the inlet manifold out of the way.

Look forward to your thoughts, i know you'll come up with somthing.

Thanks again, DM.

Reply #1May 20, 2004, 10:17:25 pm

MK3 GTD

• User+

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2004, 10:17:25 pm »
i had the crank pulley problem on my AAZ, what happens is the bolt that holds the timing belt sprocket to the crank, works itself loose. this actually causes stress on the sprockets key mine broke half the key off the sprocket and set the timing off but no valve clash or anything serious, ive heard stories of it chewing up the keyway on the crank thus needing a new crank. the only permanent solution ive heard is to replace the crank with a 1.9l TDI crank. i just chose to replace the pulley and coat all the threads of the new bolt with red loctite
1996 Golf 1.9TD
1984 Rabbit 1.6TD
1987 Jetta Coupe 1.6D

Reply #2May 21, 2004, 03:23:08 am

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 03:23:08 am »
Did you know that VW changed the part number of the 1.9lTD harmonic balancer for the latter half of '97?  Somewhere in that year, it seems they put on the same harmonic balancer that they used on the TDI, engine code AHU.  It may have something to do with the crank bolt loosening - but I don't know.

Here are the details:
  028 105 243 R / AAZ ('94, '95, '96, '97 Jetta)
  028 105 243 T / AAZ ('97 Jetta) / AHU (TDI?)
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #3September 19, 2004, 07:09:47 pm

ricosuave

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 07:09:47 pm »
sorry for the old bump, but...

can anyone post a pic, or tell me how i am to tell if my pulley and or bolt is the old or new one?  even a pic of which one to look at would be most helpful.

thx,
rico
Now: 00 2dr Golf TDI, 03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 02 2500HD Duramax - :)
Then: 69 SC Transporter, 84 Rabbit GTI, 87 Fox GL, 91 Golf IDI, 96 Passat Wagon TDI, 97 Jetta IDI - :(
"Everything I save by driving diesel I put back due to poor German engineering and crappy Mexican workmanship!"   :P

S-PAutomotive.com