S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Injection Pump - Not Injecting  (Read 2097 times)

March 15, 2007, 10:34:50 am

IRoll

• User+

Injection Pump - Not Injecting
« on: March 15, 2007, 10:34:50 am »
Greetings everyone,

I have recently rebuilt my engine (Volvo D24T). I bought a factory rebuilt injection pump off of eBay(Still had the plastic caps over all the holes), mounted that to the engine and dropped the engine in the car. (that's the short version)

Now priming the injection pump, I have a small electric fuel pump I've been using to prime in the past. I hook that up to the fuel feed line right before the fuel filter. I've got fuel all the way up to the injection pump, I've even got it coming out of the return line off the pump when I crank the engine over. I just can't get fuel to come out the injection lines. The fuel stop valve appears to be working correctly, it clicks when power is applied to it.

I am just at a loss. Is there something else I need to do to prime this pump, it appeared to have some fuel in it before I even hooked my fuel line to it. Please Help. I am trying to get this running as soon as possible.

-E

How fast?
As fast as it takes.

Reply #1March 15, 2007, 01:48:37 pm

g-spec

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 01:48:37 pm »
Try loosening the injectors a little....crank until fuel starts leaking and than tighten them down and try starting again!!!
cheers, Michal

Reply #2March 15, 2007, 03:28:47 pm

rwest1

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 03:28:47 pm »
Iroll,
Sounds like your doing all the right things, but here are my thoughts.
1)Saying can’t get fuel to come out, I assume you mean you have backed off nuts on injector pipes on top of injectors, are cranking engine and don’t see any fuel dribbling out.
2)Some pumps turn CCW some CW, make sure pn is correct for your application.
3)I use an electric fuel pump to suck through the pump, connect electric pump inlet to IP outlet banjo and electric pump outlet to rtn. line. A piece of clear hose on outlet side of electric pump. If you are still seeing air in clear hose after a few minutes pumping you have a supply side air leak (or no fuel). This done you now know pump is full to top. You can even let it run while you crank to make sure it stays full.
4)You can take stopper pin out of cutoff valve (temporarily), and reinstall to make sure its open.
5)If the IP is full of fuel, is turning right direction (got the key in pulley?), the solenoid is out of picture, and you still have no fuel coming out of delivery valves. Would appear IP is bad. Try your old one.

Reply #3March 17, 2007, 08:44:21 am

IRoll

• User+

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 08:44:21 am »
Alright, so I switched pumps. Put the old one back in, re-timed it and everything. Primed it the same way. Had the injector lines cracked at the injectors(just like before). Cranked for awhile, and still the same problem. I put the return lines on the injectors, cranked some more, and eventually fuel started coming out. Got it to start, it runs great. Probably didn't need to switch pumps...

Now my next question is: Does the return system need some back pressure for the pump to first get started? It seemed like the fuel was taking the path of least resistance and just heading right out the return.

Also, I do have some air in my fuel line, like there's a part in the line that consists completely of air. It all sucks into the Injection pump when the engine starts, but then floats back out when engine is shut off. Can I use Rwest1's method of using a electric pump on the return side to get rid of this air? or does this sound like a big leak?

I'm new at this, and just learning as I go. Thanks for all the help, it is greatly appreciated.

-E
How fast?
As fast as it takes.

Reply #4March 17, 2007, 01:19:40 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 01:19:40 pm »
to find the air leak start at the line closest to the pump. Put it into a bucket of diesel (or ATF) and run your electirc pump, if there is no air in the line hook it back up and move your buck back one conection. Once the air starts forming in the lines you know you've found the leak
Tyler

S-PAutomotive.com