Author Topic: Random timing belt question  (Read 2048 times)

November 27, 2004, 10:04:22 pm

Mikeyworks

• Veteran

• http://www28.brinkster.com/mikeyworks/
Random timing belt question
« on: November 27, 2004, 10:04:22 pm »
Ok, I think I already know the answer to this question, but it can't hurt to ask.

My TD Caddy threw a rod and now that block is toast.
I had just put a new timing belt on it about 150 miles ago along with a new tensioner.

I need to replace the belt on the newly acquired TD Jetta and was wondering...would it be safe to use the one off the Caddy?  

I know the mileage is low, but the possable damage when the motor went up, would that or could that have damaged the belt?  Should I just suck it up and buy a new belt?

I know belts are not that expensive, and it's either get a new belt and have the comfort factor, or use the old one and take a chance that it's damaged and possibly toast this engine.

Despite me possibly answering my own questions, please give me your thoughts.

Thanks,
Mikey

Reply #1November 27, 2004, 10:14:47 pm

VW Scully

• Junior

• Not Quite Tom Riddle's Diary
Timing belt
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 10:14:47 pm »
I would just get a new belt. :)

Got any idea why your Caddy threw a rod though??  
(I feel your pain too; it's also how my 1980 Rabbit died :( ).
Tara aka VW Scully
**1981 Rabbit Diesel L, Biodiesel driven: 'the Bio-Bunny' **
Advocate for Young Adult Cancer Research & Support: I'm too Young for This!!
http://www.i2y.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply #2November 28, 2004, 12:58:35 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 12:58:35 am »
Make sure to mark the direction of rotation on the belt before you remove it and reinstall it on the "new" engine the same way. The belt fibres take a "set" and reversing it can lead to earlier belt failure.

Reply #3November 28, 2004, 02:38:16 am

janb

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2004, 02:38:16 am »
In my previous life (young and cheap  :oops: )  I would have re-used the belt

in my current life (old and very cheap), I would spend the $12 USD on a new belt.   ... only because life is too short to jeopordize an engine ($1000+ a lot of time and trouble) for a $12 belt,  BTDT  having seen the destruction of a failed belt, and having spent 3 Hours + $50 snagging a spare head at the junkyard today, why take the risk  :?:
I'm gonna bet there was a sudden snap in the dynamics of your components when the rod broke.  Rubber gives, but the internal cords break, or fatigue, and this is not obvious to the naked eye (I'm getting a bit blind too. :roll: :cry:  )

I have made some very silly errors in judgement in my last 40 years of wrenching, and they ALL cost time and $$ (like maintaining a fleet of diesel vw's)  One good one should be enough   :wink:  (BTW, I'm quickly running outta time, ran out of money years ago  !! )
janb
The Stealth Rabbit
VW-d's are forever

Fixmyvw.com