Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Smokes like mad, but more power after pump rebuild.  (Read 4173 times)

November 23, 2004, 08:52:31 pm

914rrr

Smokes like mad, but more power after pump rebuild.
« on: November 23, 2004, 08:52:31 pm »
Got pump rebuilt locally. Very clean job, much more power, better mileage, but it smokes like crazy if I push on the throttle at all. I was told by a long time friend / import repair shop owner that most rebuilt pumps he's seen smoke more afterwards. Why is this? Is this normal, or are the rebuilders just inept? I would have preferred to use Giles, but I needed it back on the road quickly.  :(

Reply #1November 27, 2004, 03:54:51 pm

Peter

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 03:54:51 pm »
nice to have an answer to this question ...since my rebuild is doing the same

Reply #2November 28, 2004, 03:07:37 pm

andy2

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 03:07:37 pm »
I know for a fact that some pump rebuliders usually like to up the fuel a touch as well as make some other pump ajdustments to the stock pump to make the customer happy about the rebuild, but there are many other factors that can cause the engine to smoke. You said that it did not smoke before so I wonder do you have the motor timed correctly also was the pump timing set properly using the dial indicator :?: Air filter  :?:  have your injectors ever been checked how many miles are on them  :?: have you tryed using a fuel conditioner(stanadyne preformance formula) :?:

Fixmyvw.com