S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Aluminum Flywheel ?  (Read 3217 times)

November 23, 2004, 01:14:49 am

DVST8R

• Veteran

Aluminum Flywheel ?
« on: November 23, 2004, 01:14:49 am »
Anybody tried one on there diesel, I just had to put my jetta back on the road, my other dd died, and the first thing I notice as I shift into 3rd, is that the clutch is spining  :cry: . Was planing on replacing it when the big motor goes into the car in the spring, but alas the time has ocme now. I am palning on going with a ceramic or kevelar based clutch, possible even a "puck style" with a sprung center, (any good BRAND recomendations?)  I also drive a '97 dodge 3500 diesel with a southbend CON OF 13" clutch so I am used to a graby clutch :P

Anyway to the point I know that I can get my flywheel down to the 7lbs - 8lbs range, but I know a couple of people that race and they are runing Al flywheels (not VW's) Just wondering if there are any benifits or if it is worthwhile or if anyone has even tried one? The good the bad and the ugly I want to know :wink:

The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #1November 23, 2004, 02:34:33 am

vwmike

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Aluminum Flywheel ?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 02:34:33 am »
Nobody I know of makes an aluminum flywheel for use with an 020. I'm not sure you'd really even want one. There is such a thing as having too light of flywheel.

Reply #2November 23, 2004, 12:39:26 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Aluminum Flywheel ?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 12:39:26 pm »
Eurodrive clutches in Burlington Ontario makes aluminum. I say go for it. I've used 'em on gassers, and have a lightened steel unit on my engine now. It didn't diminish idle quality for me at all, so I wouldn't hesitate to go lighter still.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #3November 23, 2004, 01:32:32 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

Aluminum Flywheel ?
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 01:32:32 pm »
Mike, you're right that lightening a flywheel has very little effect on low-RPM engines, but a high revving diesel will get the same benefit from a lightweight flywheel that a gasser will get.

Go for it!  :D

Stan
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #4November 23, 2004, 02:31:29 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Aluminum Flywheel ?
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 02:31:29 pm »
Quote from: "Dr. Diesel"
Eurodrive clutches in Burlington Ontario makes aluminum. I say go for it. I've used 'em on gassers, and have a lightened steel unit on my engine now. It didn't diminish idle quality for me at all, so I wouldn't hesitate to go lighter still.

I would love to hear some more about this... pictures, price, anyone tried it? etc

I love my lightened 7lb stock cast iron flywheel in my VW Diesel, as it makes the engine so much quicker reacting, and wouldn't hesitate to try one that was lighter yet.  I have never seen an aluminum 020 unit.  I contacted fidanza engineering about them making a aluminum 020 flywheel, even sent them a factory flywheel to take measurements of and develop one off of, but they ruled it out saying that the thickness of the aluminum plate required to make the flywheel from would make it cost prohibitive.  So, I would really like to see how this Eurodrive place made theirs and how much it cost.  (Although I probably can't afford it right now anyway )
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #5November 23, 2004, 04:39:58 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Aluminum Flywheel ?
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 04:39:58 pm »
euro-drive clutches in burlinton ontario.
905-639-7873  
ask for john
He can do anything you can imagine with a clutch. I recommend a kevlar disc to go with it!
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

S-PAutomotive.com