Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: did you say clutch?  (Read 3179 times)

November 23, 2004, 12:33:15 am

gropar

• User+

did you say clutch?
« on: November 23, 2004, 12:33:15 am »
At idle speed, while compressing the clutch pedal, I can distinctly hear a growl coming from the engine compartment.

If I depress the clutch pedal (either with a gear engaged or on neutral), it stops.

The clutch itself is not that old (about two years).

What could be the problem? And, more interesting : what could be the solution???

1.9 IDI,
minimalist exhaust system; soon big FMIC and 15 psi boost.

Reply #1November 23, 2004, 01:02:26 am

DVST8R

• Veteran

did you say clutch?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 01:02:26 am »
Thrust Bearing? I think that is what it is called, regardless the only bearing inbetween the crankshaft and the imput shaft. It may not have been replaced with the clutch. Anyway that's my best guess :?:
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #2November 23, 2004, 02:16:16 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
did you say clutch?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 02:16:16 pm »
I think it may just be your mainshaft sort of "rattling" in it's bearings, or something like that.  That faint "growling" noise in neutral that goes away when you apply pressure to the clutch pedal, seems to happen in every 020 VW transmissions that I can remember driving...  so I wouldn't worry about it.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #3November 23, 2004, 07:52:49 pm

gropar

• User+

did you say clutch?
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 07:52:49 pm »
ok. Thank you all. :D

If it does come from the tranny, I won't bother : I just bought a "new" one (home rebuilt from another VW enthousiast).

ACN tranny : first gear is longer, 2-3-4 about as short as on my 4S, fifth is loooong.

I will finally be able to let my turbo blow in first gear; sportive enough in 2-3-4; fuel economy in 5.

Bonus : the growl should stop (according to you, fspGTD).
1.9 IDI,
minimalist exhaust system; soon big FMIC and 15 psi boost.

Reply #4November 23, 2004, 09:05:23 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
did you say clutch?
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 09:05:23 pm »
Quote from: "gropar"
Bonus : the growl should stop (according to you, fspGTD).

Actually, since even the freshly rebuilt 020 transmissions that I've driven on have this growl in neutral with clutch pedal out, I would actually bet more along the lines that your new tranny will still growl.  I could be wrong... but if it does I would not worry about it though!  (It might have to do with how tight they are set up, but I don't really know...)

Good luck with your new tranny ratios and give us a report on it (performance as well as growling  :P ) after you've got a chance to test it!
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits