Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: WTB: "NO - AC" Alternator Setup  (Read 6709 times)

Reply #15February 24, 2007, 06:08:47 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
WTB: "NO - AC" Alternator Setup
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2007, 06:08:47 pm »
I have a serp setup that I got off of a 1.9td I swapped. No air. It's just sitting in the back of my trunk if anyone is interested. I'm missing a few of the pulleys I think but I'd imagine they are the same as the other serp setups.
*spoken for*

here are pictures of it as well as a bracket from a non-AC non-PS car.

I was going to take pictures of an installed serp setup on a 1.9 but I wasn't really up to the task tonight

It's the golf on the right, sorry for the miserable pictures
Tyler

Reply #16February 27, 2007, 03:02:06 pm

veeman

• Veteran

WTB: "NO - AC" Alternator Setup
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 03:02:06 pm »
I just went through all this on my 1.6TD.  Maybe this will help a bit.

First, here's a pic of the A/C bracket that was on my 1.6TD with A/C (in my caddy).  It's the one on the right.  The one on the left is for a Quantum.

In this setup, the alternator is on top, in front of the engine above the compressor which sits in it's own adjustment bracket down by the water pump.   I hated it... my a/c never worked, it was heavy and I constantly had tensioning problems with the belt.  Removing the bracket and getting at some of the recessed bolts was an "exercise" in patience to say the least.

I then got a hold of an entire non-a/c setup from a 1.6 NA engine (mk1).  It adapted perfectly to my 1.6TD.   There are three parts to it not including the pulleys:

- bracket that goes against the water pump (later cast one in this pic, although some were stamped / sheet metal that apparently broke often)

- Alternator adjustment arm (sits near the bottom of the engine rather than on top like the a/c setup)

- Timing belt cover support arm.

The pulleys are slightly different to account for the offset of the alt pulley and of course, the alternator is different as well.  I think the main mounting ear is shaped differently than the a/c unit since it sits in the place where the a/c compressor would be.

When I bought my new non-a/c alt, I made sure it had the "W" terminal for the tach conversion.   I think a rebuilt unit cost me around $90 or so.

I've been running the non-ac setup for 5 months now and I haven't had to even touch the alternator adjustment.   This is a night and day improvement over the a/c setup which I fiddled with every few weeks.

Hope that helps you in your search...  FYI, I got my non-ac setup from a friend on the west coast where something like that is relatively more common than out here in Ohio.
81 Caddy TD
98 Audi A4 Quattro V6 TDI
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Fixmyvw.com