S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: govenor and other pump mods  (Read 2353 times)

February 12, 2007, 10:18:13 am

mk1vdub

• Junior

govenor and other pump mods
« on: February 12, 2007, 10:18:13 am »
so my pump has had to come off to re tap a glow plug hole that got cross threaded,

I want/need to go back into the pump and re do the govenor mod and possibly do some other upgrades while I'm in there if they are easy enough to do and get parts for....

but basically the main thing its to get the govenor mod done properly, the last time, I soildified the intermediate spring and preloaded the main spring slightly, this seemed to do the job of keeping fueling going higher up the rev range but it also seemed to make the car rather unpleasent on part/light throttle, it felt that having effectivly removed the intermediate spring had now made a gap in the smooth transition of the throttle and the car would jerk and lurch under certain part throttle positions.

so am I right in thinking my messing with the govenor is the main culprit for this or could there be other explanations? a loose pump or pump bracket perhaps?

having read back through loads of old post on the govenor mod I now find mention of two different types: a 'part load gov mod' and a 'max rpm gov mod' can someone explain to me the difference, and which one I should do?
my guess is if I re do the govenor with only some preload (or a stiffer spring of the same length if I can find one) on the main spring and leave the intermediate spring alone I will retain the smooth transition from the small idle spring to intermediate and therefore get rid of the jerky part throttle condition.

also if anyone would like to chip in with any other mods that could be done while in the pump that would be great although maybe that would be best left for a separate thread.....?

well thanks for reading, if you've got this far :shock: , and hopefully someone will be able to enlighten me.

:D  :D

1.6 turbo SB code GTD engine, standard bosch pump with 3 stage govenor.

1983 mk1 golf GTD
1980 mk1 scirocco Gli, in bits, in the garage, awaiting full restoration

Reply #1February 13, 2007, 04:46:15 am

snakemaster

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 04:46:15 am »
see where the fuel comes in to the pump right next to that is the PRV for mantaning fuel presshuer , but if you nock down the center bit 2mm with a punch and hammer be gental that will rase the low fuel presshure and help  in geting some more power , if you do a search you shoud find more info on it
Glenmorangie  single highland malt

Reply #2February 14, 2007, 07:35:49 am

mk1vdub

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 07:35:49 am »
Thanks for the suggestion, I had a bit of a search but didn't really come up with anything.

Can you give me any more info, or a link to any threads about it?

1983 mk1 golf GTD
1980 mk1 scirocco Gli, in bits, in the garage, awaiting full restoration

S-PAutomotive.com