S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Cylinder Head Date Code?  (Read 2153 times)

November 18, 2004, 12:13:11 am

srivett

• Veteran

Cylinder Head Date Code?
« on: November 18, 2004, 12:13:11 am »
Hi guys,
  I just picked up a 95 1.9 TD engine with a new head and was wondering how I can determine what the date code on the head is trying to tell me.  It's got a couple rings of numbers and some other wierd markings like you'd see on a VW speedometer...  :lol: I am pulling the engine apart due to it being on fire and I'll be changing the valve seals which may be 7 or 8 mm...would like to order before dissasembly of head.  If I were to have the head apart for more than 6 hours I know I'd lose part of it so I want the parts on hand.

Does www.altrom.com have the best prices on parts?  They don't actually sell the parts, they just show the retail price and give a list of local dealers.

Cheers, Steve

1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)

Reply #1November 18, 2004, 09:31:21 am

QuickTD

• Veteran

Cylinder Head Date Code?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 09:31:21 am »
If it is a '95 it will have 7mm valve stems and single valve springs. It will also have a 2 piece injection pump pulley and an automatic timing belt tensioner. All of these changes were added on the 95's.

Reply #2November 18, 2004, 11:12:12 am

MacGyver

• Junior

Cylinder Head Date Code?
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 11:12:12 am »
Altrom may sell you the parts, if you show up & act like you're someone important :?
They probably won't give you any good deal though.

One of the best places to get parts is from Brian Harrison:
http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/roseland/P&S.htm
Give him the pt# you want, and he'll send it right to your door for a considerable discount off the Altrom listed price. Plus, no PST since he's out of province. This offsets the shipping cost.
I've dealt with him several times now, got parts for myself, my dad, and QuickTD.

Reply #3November 18, 2004, 08:35:11 pm

srivett

• Veteran

Cylinder Head Date Code?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 08:35:11 pm »
The problem is that the engine has a new head on it, I figured when you order a 1.9TD head you get whatever is kicking around that will fit.  That's why I'd like to see if the replacement was a 95 or newer.

The belt tensioner was seized up so I don't know if it is automatic...it doesn't look like it though.  It had the two little holes in it and was mounted on a stud as per usual.  It didn't look like a serpentine belt type automatic tensioner...could have been changed during head change perhaps.

I'll look into what Brian can get if I am unable to find a damaged 1.9 D or TD ( I need all the external parts...it's a block and head)

Steve
1992 1.6D Golf - 412K km
Mint except for chipped paint, no rust :)