Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: What clutch, throwout bearing & water pump for a T3 1.6T  (Read 2461 times)

January 25, 2007, 12:52:12 am

witoke

• Junior

What clutch, throwout bearing & water pump for a T3 1.6T
« on: January 25, 2007, 12:52:12 am »
Just about to put a used 1.6TD and 5 speed transmission from a mid-80's German Vanagon in my US 1.6NA Vanagon and I need to order a new clutch, throwout bearing and water pump. Does anyone know if these are the same parts as the 1.6NA for the Vanagon?

If anyone has the part numbers and a source they would be much appreciated. I am not sure if the engine parts are the same as the 83 Jetta TD's that were imported into the states? Do I have to buy from canada? And also did you Canadians actually get the T3 1.6TD's? If so I assume I can order parts like exhausts etc. Any recommendations for parts places?

thanks,

Alex

Reply #1February 01, 2007, 07:07:55 am

madmatt

• User+

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 07:07:55 am »
td and n/a both run 215mm clutch trow out bearing is the same.clutch is different from jetta.
t3(vanagon)single cab, upright 1y
t3van aaz
t3 tdi

Reply #2February 01, 2007, 12:43:04 pm

Baxter

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 12:43:04 pm »
Yeah, all the T3 Diesels used the same clutch and flywheel.

They are okay for 1.6TD's and standard 1.9TD's but if you plan on any power hikes then it can get expensive.

I used to run a M-tdi and used a Audi A4 TDI flywheel, a LT friction disc and a A4 cover plate, but going this route means you loose your timing marks. You also cannot use the *** shield between the engine and box unless you make a new one and you cannot get to the 2 rear sump bolts unless you machine the back of the flywheel.

Sachs Racing in Germany produce a heavy duty 215mm clutch kit, not had personal experience of it but it is mean to be around the £500 mark.

Reply #3February 02, 2007, 09:56:27 am

witoke

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 09:56:27 am »
Thanks for the replies and help. I have ordered all the parts and hopefully will get the van going soon. This forum has been invaluable.

As for the clutch,  I do plan on boosting output on the engine a little. My van is a full camper and with the family and our stuff probably weighs about 5000lbs/2200kg loaded. We often tow a small trailer with kayaks on it too.

I have an intercooler ready to fit once it's up and running well. I will also start researching pump mods and alternative injectors though it looks like I will have to sell my first born to a slaver in order to buy a stronger clutch!

From what I have been able to read so far it really seems that making the Golf/Jetta pump work in the van will be easier than trying to modify the Vanagon pump. Any advice/comments here? I know Brickwerks has been looking at the Vanagon pump but I don't have time to do all this myself.

If I can find a local Dyno shop that's reasonable I will have the van tested at each stage of modification to document the changes and hopefully improvements. From driving various modified vans my goal is 100hp and 150 lbs/ft of torque. We'll see.

Reply #4February 02, 2007, 05:40:27 pm

madmatt

• User+

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 05:40:27 pm »
there is another option of using the tdi flywheel an clutch and changing the input shaft  ha project in germany sell them for about 100/140 euros
t3(vanagon)single cab, upright 1y
t3van aaz
t3 tdi

Reply #5February 03, 2007, 04:54:22 pm

Baxter

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 04:54:22 pm »
Yeah, forgot about that Matt, even though I am about to order one (Doh!)

http://shop.vw-winkler.de/product_info.php/info/p117_Clutch-axle--TDI.html

That way you can use the complete TDI clutch assembly.

The T3, and the later TDI's have a different amount of splines on the input shaft, so the replacement shaft has the right amount of splines for the TDI style clutch and flywheel, and is man enough for the job. You still loose the timings marks though as they catch the inside of the bell housing.

Fixmyvw.com