S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: My mk2 1.6cl update thread  (Read 3751 times)

January 15, 2007, 05:50:35 pm

bri957cc

• User+

My mk2 1.6cl update thread
« on: January 15, 2007, 05:50:35 pm »
Nov 1 2006

I needed a new/old disposable car for London and quite fancied another Mk2 golf, did a bit of research and decided to get a GTD. Having discovered that they were rarer than hobby horse poo I settled on getting a standard TD, and in some ways this was better as I didn't want a car with the plastic arch trims.

I spent a couple of weeks browsing ebay and autotrader and ended up travelling up to Yorkshire to buy this - a 1988 E reg Mk2 1.6 td.

When bought -

Had apparently been owned by the same family for fifteen years, and seemed an honest enough car. The previous owner was kind enough to include some lowering springs in the sale, which sweetened it slightly.

Not having owned a diesel before I took it straight onto the A1 and hammered it back to London. All seemed fine on the journey, until approaching the Blackwall Tunnel I hit a bit of traffic, and the temp started to rise, and rise, and then a bit more.  By this point I was pretty shattered from travelling all day so stuck the heaters on full pelt and kept going....for about an hour until I was home. I was pretty hot in the car by this point, but by opening the windows and sunroof it calmed things down to a less tropical level.

The next morning I arranged the tax and insurance and thought I ought to have a look at the engine, big mistake. The one piece of advice I had received from Central VW was 'watch out for oil in the coolant' - and yet here I was dipping my finger in a nice exxon type slick in the header tank [belm]. A quick call to Central VW and the advice given was a) never sit at max revs (indicated 100mph) on the motorway in a td for four hours  probably the oil cooler or head gasket was shot.

I topped the coolant up and decided to use it and see if the problem sorted itself out....which proved not to be the case. It dumped its coolant everywhere - in traffic, stationary, when cold, when HOT and even at night when supposedly resting.

I dropped it off at a garage I had used for my 16v - (SVS Autos in Bromley, UK highly recommended) and asked them to sort it.

Thankfully the headgasket was safe, and indeed the oil cooler needed replacing (along with the radiator which had literally crumbled and a load of hoses).

Now it was healthy I could see what it was really like, tbh I'm pretty pleased. It pulls ok'ish and doesn't kick out too much smoke (yet). The following week the some friends helped me fit the suspension and drilled the airbox which allows a bit more of the whistle.

I was the process of sorting out some better 13in wheels, a gti lower spoiler and a few other bits. Planning on taking it up to Simon Cooper at some point for the pump to be sorted, but want to run it for a couple of month first to ensure nothing else goes pop first.

Nov 13 2006

Shopping in central London, so tried an arty shot with my mobile phone camera.

Today

Spent a couple of hours yesterday fiddling with the wiring, the fuse for the brake lights was blowing as soon as the peddle was pressed. Managed to find where the short was occuring and fix it .

Also finally fitted the £1 ebay special front spoiler, was taking me ages with no tools so in the end drove to halfords with the old spoiler half detached and bought a ratchet thingmy. All sorted and then went to see how I'd fare with my local speed bumps, seems slow is the best approach

Going through its MOT at the end of the month, and will mess with the fueling afterwards. Got my eye on an intercooler setup as well, will see how high it goes on ebay as I have a few options.

Still got to fit my new wheels, need some less balloon style tyres and the black centre caps fitting (jobs for next month).

Will keep it updated whenever I get round to making more changes.

Cheers Bri

Reply #1January 15, 2007, 10:50:24 pm

con

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 10:50:24 pm »
that car looks ace, subtle and classic. Nice work. Keep us up to date.

Reply #2January 15, 2007, 11:19:59 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 11:19:59 pm »
I like it. You're very lucky you didn't warp your head though
Tyler

Reply #3January 16, 2007, 01:18:16 am

craiggroombridge

• User+

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 01:18:16 am »
looks good one thing that worries me is the steering is on the right ? Just kidding sepnt some time in the UK before, the car looks good to me, good luck with the MOT

Craig
My first was an 85 gas fun
my second is an 86 gas more fun
my third is a 92 n/a diesel project

Reply #4January 16, 2007, 04:38:05 am

MontanaGTD

• Junior

• http://www.dub-style.com
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 04:38:05 am »
Hello fellow Uk'er! I had exactly the same thing - its a well known thing about the oil coolers going! I just did that to my car on Sunday - what a ball ache! Coolant flush for 3 days doing over 200 miles - flush the system, refill with clean water and another bottle of coolant flush, leave it to run for 10 minutes at 2500rpm. Flush the system again. removed the lower hose off the radiator flushed the system through again, remover expansion bottle and replaced it with a new one, mine was black! drained the oil, put new oil cooler on, new seal, new retainer nut, new VAG oil filter, filled up with genuine VAG coolant and oil. temperature gauge rises much quicker from cold than it use to and car runs cooler at high revs.

If you need any parts for your car use Euro Car Parts and delivery is free over £50 orders!

Good luck with the MOT!
MK3 Polo G40 - Sold
MK2 Golf GTD in Montana Green - FORSALE
MK2 Scirocco Scala 1.8i - FORSALE
MK4 Polo 6n 16v 5dr with A/C - othercar/wifes learner
Skoda Fabia VRS - new Daily

Reply #5January 16, 2007, 06:43:56 am

con

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 06:43:56 am »
Damn I get a certain amount of oil in the coolant too, sounds like a pain in the ass to fix.

Reply #6January 16, 2007, 05:29:01 pm

TomB

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 05:29:01 pm »
Yup, mine needs doing as well, although it's not that urgent at the moment as I don't have the problems you describe (fortunately!).
bri957cc who's SImon Cooper?  Is he a fuel pump wizard, as I'll be after an upgrade at somepoint in the future.
Your TD looks cracking btw, those wheels will look good on it I think  :D
Keep us posted,
Tom
1.6 Golf GTD - Chip Fat Powered!

Reply #7January 17, 2007, 05:08:54 am

bri957cc

• User+

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 05:08:54 am »
Cheers TomTom

He runs a mk2 diesel that runs 12 second q miles....

He works at Central VW up in the NW, not sure of there website here at work though. Have a search for Central vw audi.

Cheers Vri

Reply #8January 17, 2007, 07:54:06 am

MontanaGTD

• Junior

• http://www.dub-style.com
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 07:54:06 am »
I've seen his car in action - 0-60 in 6.8 sec! its a 1.9TD bottom end now - bored out to 2.1 with a huge KKK turbo on it!

bri957cc - If you want lo-pro tyres for yout fondamental's then get in touch - I can do quality make 185/60/13's from £35ea inc delivery to your door! (pricwe depends on make)
MK3 Polo G40 - Sold
MK2 Golf GTD in Montana Green - FORSALE
MK2 Scirocco Scala 1.8i - FORSALE
MK4 Polo 6n 16v 5dr with A/C - othercar/wifes learner
Skoda Fabia VRS - new Daily

Reply #9January 17, 2007, 06:03:46 pm

SMOKEYDUB

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 06:03:46 pm »
The engine is based on a 1z 1.9l block

It has a std crank and rods. and Raceware head stud kit

Standard 2.5 van pistons and deeper valve cutouts.

Head is flowed and modded for :-224 bhp at 2 bar/29 psi of boost with low restriction manifolds fitted  

T4 Multivan injectors and a hybrid mechanical/electronic fuel pump.

Twin inlet inlet manifold custom fabricated plenum by Russ Fellows

1 off 4 branch exhaust manifold made by Russ Fellows from 316 stainless

T28 ball bearing turbo running at 26 psi boost, Full custom 2 1/2" side exit exhaust system

Charge cooler based on Cessna 152 aircraft oil cooler

Methanol injection using Bosch fuel injection parts

Present horse power is 250.5 flywheel and 232 at the wheels over 380 ftlb torque

These figures are continually changing due to continuous improvments

Current best time is 13.03 @ 107mph

I wanna try and beat that with a 1.6 td rabbit :P
12mm PUMP 'O' DEATH on a 1.6L
(courtesy of GILES)

2000 NISSAN XTERRA (5 SPD)
1990 VW JETTA 20 VALVE DRAG CAR
1984 RABBIT TD 2dr (SOLD)
1.8t AEB soon around 550 whp