Author Topic: Suzuki + VW diesel?  (Read 3162 times)

November 10, 2004, 11:00:58 pm

addautomotive

Suzuki + VW diesel?
« on: November 10, 2004, 11:00:58 pm »
Hey folks... I've been doing the VW diesel thing for a couple years now, and am completely hooked. For one thing, i just love the sheer "mechanicalness" (is that a word?) of the diesel engine, I also really enjoy the "feel" of a VW. I've had an 87 NA Jetta for a couple years, it's now at 593K, 49 K of which is on used vegetable oil. I picked up a 96 1.9Td jetta this summer... and hopefully will be able to do some of the basic diesel mods this winter... once it's converted to vegoil too. The 1.9 is a GREAT engine, and I really look forward to tooling with it.

Anyway, there's been some automotive serendipity in the last month or so... first, my 87 jetta has outlived its usefullness. It still runs great, but is too old, ugly and rattly to be a daily driver the the Lady and I. (Hence the 96). I hate to just dump it, I re-ringed it last year and the suspension is pretty fresh. Plus it has a .71 5th.
Second, I managed to pounce on a GREAT deal a couple months ago... an 87 Suzuki Samurai longbody. It's in pretty damn good shape.. with a little body rust and some general "old car' issues... but for $500 I couldn't say no. Anyway, you know what comes next. I want to put the two vehicles in a transmorgifier and come out with a Suzuki Samurai diesel. Whatever comes out the other end can go to the wrecking yard.

My question is... has anyone done this, and if so what are the REAL costs and obstacles? There are kits out there for under $400 US that include the adapter plate, flywheel and engine mounts. I'd have to scrounge some manifolds, oil filter brackets and assorted bric-a-brac. Anyone gone this route? FeedbacK?Admonitions?

Reply #1November 11, 2004, 02:54:43 am

DVST8R

• Veteran

Suzuki + VW diesel?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 02:54:43 am »
First off great score the long body is very desierable in the off road community. I have not personally done one but form what I understand (i have resaerched this quite abit DIY kits end up being almost as expensive and very time consuming and frusterating (finding all of the nick nacks) for the most complete kit out there I would and will (they now have vw to toyota addapters) be going with an acme adapter. For some good reading I would suggest www.pirate4x4.com and then search on the suzuki forum and there are a couple of build ups of samuris with vw diesels in them. You may also want to PM "deep mud" he is on this board as well as pirate under the same name and I know that he has a samuri with the 1.9td in it. I am sure he would have some helpful advise.
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #2November 11, 2004, 11:15:13 am

2mn2

Suzuki + VW diesel?
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 11:15:13 am »
Try these guys: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/SamuraiDiesel/?yguid=74272152

Two of the folks who make the VW/Suzuki conversion kits post there also.

Reply #3November 12, 2004, 10:42:08 am

addautomotive

thanks folks...
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 10:42:08 am »
Yeah I joined the yahoo group. Very helpful lot, although I hate the format. I'm on a sailboat yahoo group too... I just don't see the advantage compared to a forum like this... but I digress...

Thanks for the tips, acmeadapters is the way I'm leaning, although it could be a while yet.  I'm just curious to speak with someone from this group that's done it with ready access to VW parts. The folks down in the US seem to have to do some scrounging for manifolds etc.. don't think that would be an issue here.

Reply #4November 12, 2004, 11:06:30 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

Suzuki + VW diesel?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 11:06:30 am »
Send a PM to DieselsRcool. His sig shows he has a Samurai TD...  :D
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #5November 12, 2004, 11:53:47 am

SteveH

• User+

Ahh
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 11:53:47 am »
Im in the process of doing this swap.  My engine is nearly complete (just have to run belts).  Hopefully I'll be tossing it in the week after next.  Let me know if you have any questions - as I have had to come to many 'enlightment' moments alone.

-Steve