Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Hey, new member...couple questions.  (Read 2677 times)

November 09, 2004, 05:58:29 pm

stevenrossi

• User+

Hey, new member...couple questions.
« on: November 09, 2004, 05:58:29 pm »
Hey guys

I just stumbled upon this site here and it's awesome, exactly what I needed. I've got a 1994 Golf TD - its just rolled over to 200 000KM. The car's ok...I mean it's great with the mileage, I'll do about 55MPG thru and thru...sometimes less, sometimes more. The car starts and drives just fine but it's got it's fare share of small problems.

Engine
-Some smoke under WOT (wide open throttle)...I'll cover the poor soul behind me. I think I should do the w/p, tensioner, and belt and maybe that'll solve those problems.
-Studdering on WOT ... the car ever so slightly studders on WOT...no one else notices it.

Transmission
...there are no grindings what so ever, it shifts beautyfully. This problem is 'clutch' related. When I press down the pedal its awesome, but when I release the pedal it feels as if though it's getting kinked somewhere...it's catching or snagging somewhere. It's not the cable for sure and when it finally releases over the 'snag point' the transmission makes a sharp "KINK" sound. I've been told that it's either the clutch arm or the push rod that goes through the tranny, some have also suggested that it could be the pressure plate...any suggestions?

Other
...high pitch humming sound comming from chassis at higher speed. I know it's the bearings, should I just change them all or should I have a mechanic have a look and tell me which need to be changed?

...After it gets to about 135KPH (3200RPM) Im afraid to go over that speed because i get a massive vibration from the pedal as if the engine is shaiking badly...what could that be?

Mod's I want to do, but don't know how
...I bought a full boost gauge kit from a local shop. It came w/ wiring and a line w/ a "T" fitting at the end of it...should I tap into the line that goes from the turbo to the Fuel Injection Pump...that goes right over the valve cover...is that the right line?

...Otherwise the car's awesom...never has a hard time starting, nor does it blow nasty white smoke on cold cold startup's (un-burnt fuel).

BTW guys, i've read some posts here and you all seem really helpful and kind. Hope to talk to all of you shortly!

Best! :D
Steven Rossi

Reply #1November 09, 2004, 06:17:06 pm

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 06:17:06 pm »
welcome!

you'll have to come out to some get togethers since you're local.. next one in hamilton in december...

you're right on about where to 'T' in the boost gauge.

Reply #2November 09, 2004, 10:52:29 pm

Cheesetoast

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 10:52:29 pm »
heh, my gas pedal vibrates at high speed in 5th gear too, kinda tickles my foot, don't know if this is a massage feature or what...

Reply #3November 10, 2004, 08:37:43 am

RedRotors

• Veteran

• http://www.mikrotuning.com
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 08:37:43 am »
Welcome abord Steven, i sure you will find all you need here and on
the old forum, that one day, will be merged here..

Cheers,
Marc/
2k1 Golf TDI, 11mm pump, HFLOX Warp 5, VNT17, Wavetrac, 4" Lift
91' VW Golf Country
94' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 5 spds, 191's, 215hp injectors, SB Clutch
03' Dodge RAM 2500, 4x4, Cummins, 6 spds, MBPR 4 ", custom intake, Smarty Jr

-> www.mikrotuning.com <-
-> www.hflox.com <-

Reply #4November 10, 2004, 12:42:53 pm

farkman

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 12:42:53 pm »
Welcome Steven

It's good to see another A3 owner on the board. I have a 94 Golf TD with 255,000km. Is the mileage you quoted by U.S. or Imperial gallon? As for the smoke at WOT, unless it's excessive I wouldn't worry about it. My car does the same thing and it's great for the tailgaters who don't understand that the right lane is the slow lane.

I put in a boost gauge in my car a few months ago and tapped into the line going from the turbo to the wastegate. You can used the line from the intake manifold to the injection pump but I found it easier to route the line against the firewall.

By the way, what's the most amount of fuel you have ever put in your tank. I was under the impression that 60 liters or even a bit more can fit in the tank if you fill it right up to the top, since all the A4 models can squeeze in 16-17 gallons (about 60-64 liters).

Take care.

Peter

Reply #5November 10, 2004, 01:05:38 pm

stevenrossi

• User+

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 01:05:38 pm »
put in a boost gauge in my car a few months ago and tapped into the line going from the turbo to the wastegate. You can used the line from the intake manifold to the injection pump but I found it easier to route the line against the firewall.

I'll have to check for the wire, hopefully I can tap it before it gets way too cold...unless anyone here has a warm garage for me to use!  :lol: -

By the way, what's the most amount of fuel you have ever put in your tank. I was under the impression that 60 liters or even a bit more can fit in the tank if you fill it right up to the top, since all the A4 models can squeeze in 16-17 gallons (about 60-64 liters).

I usually fit about 55L- now I’ve never let it run down to the redline, I’ve heard that it's never good...I hear "when it's on red...it's empty...no reserve" Out of 55 Liters of fuel, I'll do about 850KM.

...Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I’m glad I own a diesel, I'm a young guy but every other forum I’ve been on is usually tainted w/ some very "opinionated" people. Keep me informed on meets and whatnot.

Best!

Steve

Reply #6November 11, 2004, 07:57:14 am

farkman

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 07:57:14 am »
Steven

So your saying that you fill up when the needle gets to the first red line or to the last red line? The most I've filled up is 50 liters with the needle a little bit above the first red line. I figure about 60 liters can fit into a fully filled tank. That 50 liters that I filled up took me 960km  :D . If I had the courage I think I could go about 1100km on one tank, but I get real nervous when the needle passes the last white line.

Take care.

Peter

Reply #7November 11, 2004, 08:28:04 am

stevenrossi

• User+

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 08:28:04 am »
Steven

So your saying that you fill up when the needle gets to the first red line or to the last red line? The most I've filled up is 50 liters with the needle a little bit above the first red line. I figure about 60 liters can fit into a fully filled tank. That 50 liters that I filled up took me 960km  . If I had the courage I think I could go about 1100km on one tank, but I get real nervous when the needle passes the last white line.

Take care.

Peter

I always fill up just as it hits the 1st red line, the furthest I've pushed it was just pas the 2nd (of 3) red lines on the EMPTY side - and that had me dead on the side of the road (which i hear is VERY unhealthy for these cars) now I don't know much about MK3 Diesels, but I know that one should not try to push it...I hear the rule's for this car are very simple

A) Proper oil and regular intervals
B) When it hits the red, its empty
C) Never "gun" it right off the line
D) Timing / Water Pump / Tensioner must be done at every 80 - 100K KM

…RE: Point B) - I’ve never really pushed it, and when I did...i got to about 940KM and that was filled up by a full-service fuel station, If I had done it myself and had fuel all the way up into the filler neck (with easy driving) I’m certain I could / would have gone nearly to 1100KM on that tank, but I don't want to strain my fuel injection pump.

Best,

Steven

S-PAutomotive.com