Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: newb TDI owner Qs  (Read 2791 times)

December 30, 2006, 04:17:54 am

LeeG

• Veteran

newb TDI owner Qs
« on: December 30, 2006, 04:17:54 am »
Well, I moved up in the world today.  For the princely sum of $5k I drove home a one owner rust and accident free '97 passat TDI.  300,000Km, but the PO had the head, turbo, IP, waterpump and brakes all done in 2006.  (these invoices almost come to what I paid him for the car!!)  The only thing not working is RF power window.  And on a cold start it has a bearing squeel for a few seconds.

Since I didnt expect to find a TDI in my price range for a few more years, I havent paid any attention to the TDI related forums.  And now I have a million questions.

-Repair manual of choice =  Bentley?
-Oil change interval and recommended oil?
-That TDI engine cover, does it actually do anything or can I leave it off so I can actually see the engine on a regular basis?
-Any particular must check items for preventive maintenance on these?
-Aformentioned squeel:  It definetly sounded like a bearing, but louder, faster than I would expect from an alternator.  PO reported the idler pulley is new with waterpump.  Any obvious other places to look?  I've only heard it once, on cold start last night (frosty 0 C).  Its almost like something shuts off within a minute of the cold start.  No repeats today.

looks like I'll be spending more time in TDI forums!

Craigslist pic of my new ride.  dig the winter steelies.

My daily driver 91 Jetta TD is for sale now.  I will put up an ad soon.

'97 Passat TDI