Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Turbo Return Line  (Read 2950 times)

November 07, 2004, 12:58:06 pm

SteveH

• User+

Turbo Return Line
« on: November 07, 2004, 12:58:06 pm »
All,
  In the course of my retrofit of a 1.6TD, I have come up of an issue.  The turbo oil return line will cause a clearance issue, and therefore I have to make a new one.  Preferbly, it would be easiest for me to use a braded line - any sources ?

Thanks !
  Steve

Reply #1November 07, 2004, 01:20:40 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
Turbo Return Line
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2004, 01:20:40 pm »
There are a number of ways you could modify the stock line...  one option is to just bend it (with the proper sized tubing bender, to prevent crushing of the line.)  You can also cut the hard line, and then either hose-clamp a flexible line over that, or install AN 818 & AN 819 tube sleeve and nut behind the end of the line and do a simple, single-flare to the end of the tubing (technically AN is supposed to have a 37 degree flare, but in my experience 45 degree flare works also) and then you can install an AN fitting to the end of the tube.  With AN fittings you can use an AN 815 union to go to another section of hardline, or you can buy AN to flex line fittings sold by aeroquip / earls / russell that go to their flexible line (there is quite a variety of flexible line to choose from... most has braided stainless wrapped around it like the factory oil return flex section does, but there is also "slip on" type that goes over barbed fittings.)  You'd have to measure what the OD of the hardline is to determine what the "dash" size is, but I'm guessing it might be dash 8 (So, you'd look for AN8 fittings...)  But be sure to measure before you buy to make sure.  PS - good source of AN fittings (small-order friendly too) is here: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/ha/anfittings.html

Hope this gives you some food for thought...  there are a lot of options depending on your budget and how fancy you'd like to get.

Edit: to give you some ideas, here is the array of flexible hose and AN fittings offered by aeroquip: http://www.aeroquip.com/pages/prodinfo.html
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #2November 08, 2004, 08:50:46 am

SteveH

• User+

Turbo Return Line
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 08:50:46 am »
Quote from: "fspGTD"
You can also cut the hard line, and then either hose-clamp a flexible line over that,

Brillant idea !  Im thinking that I will cut the hard line, install a flair nut, then flair - flex line back up to the turbo.  A single piece of braided wouldn't be bad, but the hydro places around here don't carry stuff that large in metric.

Thanks !!!
  Steve

Reply #3November 08, 2004, 02:42:14 pm

SteveH

• User+

Ugg
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2004, 02:42:14 pm »
So in my mind, I needed a 6" piece of -8 braided line with a 7/8" compression fitting at one end (for the turbo), and a flair fitting at the other (to hook onto the section of hard line that was remaining).  Much easier said than done apparently.
  My local purveyor of all things hydraulic seemed to have much better things to do than to help me out.  Seems that he is either afraid of the metric system, or woke up on the wrong side of the bed.  Needless to say, he was less than friendly/helpful towards me and my endevour.  After being told that - in no uncertain terms - that he had ".. more important things to do than to help some guy out with import crap", I left.  
  Comming home, I was abit frustrated, so I took to bending the line by hand - but being careful not to kink it.  Using my engine stand as an anvil and a rubber mallet, I was able to make some fine adjustments (This hard line is 12mm with at least 1.5mm wall) without any dents/kinks.  Perfect fit, check the picture for yourself.

Here's a brief photo album of before/after shots as well:
http://hometown.aol.com/veedubrocco/TD_engine_pics_1.html

And yes, it was done in my living room (gets ALL the ladies...)

Onwards and Upwards,
  Steve

Reply #4November 08, 2004, 03:36:21 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

Turbo Return Line
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2004, 03:36:21 pm »
So that is just the bent stock line, eh?  Nice job - looks like now you've got yourself a rear-mounted alternator... cool!  :P

Is this going into a transverse-mount application or longitudinal-mount?
Jake Russell

Reply #5November 08, 2004, 04:38:06 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Turbo Return Line
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2004, 04:38:06 pm »
- looks like now you've got yourself a rear-mounted alternator... cool!  :P

getting some ideas about weight placement, Jake? hehe
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #6November 08, 2004, 05:26:05 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

Turbo Return Line
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2004, 05:26:05 pm »
Quote from: "Dr. Diesel"

getting some ideas about weight placement, Jake? hehe

Hehe... nah, probably would get in the way of where I want to eventually mount my turbo.  :twisted:  I'm pretty happy with my miniature alternator setup:
Jake Russell

Reply #7November 09, 2004, 12:58:34 am

SteveH

• User+

Turbo Return Line
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 12:58:34 am »
So that is just the bent stock line, eh?  Nice job - looks like now you've got yourself a rear-mounted alternator... cool!  :P

Yupper, just the stock line with some slight changes.
The engine is going to be longitudinally mounted into my Suzuki Samurai (although it would be cool to toss it into my scirocco too..)

Thanks for listning to my rantings,
  Steve