S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Possible great news for the eco guys  (Read 2973 times)

November 01, 2004, 08:53:39 pm

leprechan

• Junior

Possible great news for the eco guys
« on: November 01, 2004, 08:53:39 pm »
After comparing my na pump with atm compensation it appears that its identical to a turbo pump, but in a different configuration.  Basically two fittings traded places.  Turbo pumps have a fitting with a hose that samples pressure in the intake manifold.  This fitting is located on the lda cover.  Right above the return banjo bolt is pressure release valve.  The atm pump has these exact same fittings, except they have reversed there places.  The pressure release is on top and the fitting is on the bottom.  On the atm pump the fitting is connected to some external control via vaccuum line.  I took the lda cover off my pump and it looks indentical to a turbo pump inside.  This could be a very convenient discovery for the eco guys who need boost enrichment and don't want to change pumps.  If I'm right all one would have to do is switch these two fittings around and tap into the intake manifold so the pump could sample pressure.  I don't have an eco motor and I can't test this out.  If anyone out there with an ecodiesel motor could test this theory out that would add another free mod to the already large list.  I realize that there is a possability that there could be some differences inside the pump, but we'll never know until somebody tests it.  I'm awaiting all scrutiny and comments on this one and thank you for reading my long ramblings.

Nick

91' Jetta 1.6na, Monster Power!

Reply #1November 02, 2004, 09:34:50 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 09:34:50 am »
Sounds great for me but I don't have the time to tinker with it with college and work.  Keep us posted.
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #2November 02, 2004, 10:51:51 am

SteveH

• User+

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 10:51:51 am »
Hrmm.  I was thinking about this myself.  I have a '91 ECO (1V), and was looking for something like this.  FYI - The intake manifold is already tapped, it just has a rubber plug over the bung (just like the rubber plug over #1 injector fuel return).
Unfortunately I really have no idea as to the injector pump (lda cover ?).  Got some reading material for me ?

Thanks !
  Steve

Reply #3November 02, 2004, 12:05:54 pm

leprechan

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2004, 12:05:54 pm »

These are the two fittings in question Steve.  All you would have to do is swap places and hook a line from the manifold to that fitting instead of a vaccuum line.  Be sure to block off that vaccuum line as well.  Hope this helps.  Be sure to report back how it works.

Nick

Reply #4November 02, 2004, 04:22:12 pm

SteveH

• User+

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2004, 04:22:12 pm »
Hrmm, I don't see anything like that on my pump....I'll take a picture and show you this evening..

Reply #5November 02, 2004, 05:57:31 pm

dieselpower

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2004, 05:57:31 pm »
this idea wont work as far as i kno....
because with what i have been told that atmosphere compensator was only available on American models and i thought the eco diesel was only canadian...maybe i'm wrong about one of those things but that just came to my mind today.
just my $.02

Mark
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #6November 02, 2004, 07:00:24 pm

leprechan

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 07:00:24 pm »
We have ecos in the US.  They were offered in 91 with a rare few in 92.  It was engine code 1V I believe and it was basically a td engine with a smaller turbo, catalytic converter, and a pump without boost enrichment.  All the later NA's in the US got this pump so I assume that the ecos got this as well.  I look forward to seeing pics of your pump Steve.

Nick

Reply #7November 02, 2004, 09:29:51 pm

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 09:29:51 pm »
I can take pictures of my ECO pump, but do not have a way of posting them. I'm still learning in that area of computers and the internet. I got a site just not sure on how to put the pictures there and then post them to the forum. :?
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #8November 03, 2004, 03:02:36 am

leprechan

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2004, 03:02:36 am »
After looking at a few pics from ecodiesels I think you may be right.  The ones I saw did not have atm pumps.  This is somewhat unfortunate, but at least it may be a cheaper alternative instead of a true td pump.  If anyone out there has one of these pumps it would be great to know if this mod works.  I hope to hear some good news soon.

Nick

S-PAutomotive.com