S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Where to tap for boost gauge? (is this right?)  (Read 2357 times)

November 01, 2004, 04:37:16 am

Cheesetoast

• Veteran

Where to tap for boost gauge? (is this right?)
« on: November 01, 2004, 04:37:16 am »
(did a search, still not sure where)

I tapped into the line circled in this pic, is this the right place? if not can u point it out?  thx!

Reply #1November 01, 2004, 04:59:31 am

Cheesetoast

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 04:59:31 am »
while you're here, i also need to know how to install my oil pressure gauge, got hte sender with the gauge, autometer, new.

Reply #2November 01, 2004, 08:53:54 am

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: Where to tap for boost gauge? (is this right?)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 08:53:54 am »
Quote from: "Cheesetoast"
(did a search, still not sure where)

I tapped into the line circled in this pic, is this the right place? if not can u point it out?  thx!

That's the boost enrichment line for the injection pump.  You got the right place.  I believe the oil pressure sender switch is either on top of the oil filter or at the transmission side of the engine in the cylinder head.  I'd have to look at mine to find out.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #3November 01, 2004, 09:01:00 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 09:01:00 am »
The photo's kind'a fuzzy, but assuming that it is the boost reference line coming from the intake manifold, then yes, that's a good place to tap the boost gauge line into.

I always tapped an external oil pressure gauge into the same place the gauge cluster does. You will need a T-fitting which is screwed into where the present oil pressure sender is. The stock pressure sender then screws into the other end of the T so that it continues to give pressure information to the idiot light and/or stock gauge. The autometer's fitting is screwed into the T on the fitting, and a line is routed to where ever you mount the gauge itself. The trick is that IIRC the stock sender is metric thread while the autometer is NPT. Therefore, you will need a metric-to-NPT T-fitting. Lots of places make these, as this is a common problem, but the T may not be available from your local auto parts place. If it isn't, try Jegs, Summit, etc.
Stan
C-Sports Racer