S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1.6 NA head porting and modded out injection pump  (Read 4676 times)

October 29, 2004, 02:37:37 am

Justin

• Veteran

1.6 NA head porting and modded out injection pump
« on: October 29, 2004, 02:37:37 am »
hey guys i am new to tis forum, i just found it through www.vwdieselparts.com/forum
anyway has anyone here ever tried porting the 1.6 head? i have a junk head that i cut apart for the thickness's of the port walls and i am going to try to get work to let me use the flowbench for testing, but i wanted to know if anyone could give me any advice on a startig point

also where is Giles located at? for the modded out NA injection pump?
and what does it normally cost?
thanks guys
later
justin

www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump

Reply #1October 29, 2004, 12:25:20 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 12:25:20 pm »
dude, you'll find the search engine on this site very useful at this point.
Giles is in  Markham Ontario. 905-475-1122. I'm quite sure a n/a diesel would respond to head/intak/exhaust work similarly to a gas engine. If you wanted to go crazy, a TD pump with the LDA sensing nitrous pressure would help a good deal.  :twisted:
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #2October 29, 2004, 12:30:55 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 12:30:55 pm »
If you wanted to go crazy, a TD pump with the LDA sensing nitrous pressure would help a good deal.

You're a sick little monkey...

Reply #3October 29, 2004, 10:05:45 pm

moosiah

• Junior

head porting
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 10:05:45 pm »
I used to work for Megacycle Cams, and Kenetic Analysis is down the ally from there ...... so when I started on my frankenbunny I took the head to Kenny's shop.....I get to use his machines to "do" my engine work. I thought that the ports sucked frankly... the runner was 1/8 to 3/16's off to one side of the seat,,, so I fixed it . we also cut the backsides of the intake valves at 30dgr or so to take the lip off the edge of the seat......more work would help,,, but time interviened ( wanted to drive it !!!) :twisted:
'81 Frankenbunny: part rabbit, sirroco, golf ,caddy cabrio ,jedda and ! ford teimpo! w a little more Audi and soon some Peogeot too!!!!

Reply #4October 30, 2004, 02:06:09 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Re: 1.6 NA head porting and modded out injection pump
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 02:06:09 pm »
Quote from: "Justin"
hey guys i am new to tis forum, i just found it through www.vwdieselparts.com/forum
anyway has anyone here ever tried porting the 1.6 head? i have a junk head that i cut apart for the thickness's of the port walls and i am going to try to get work to let me use the flowbench for testing, but i wanted to know if anyone could give me any advice on a startig point

also where is Giles located at? for the modded out NA injection pump?
and what does it normally cost?
thanks guys
later
justin

Can you not get a Turbo head?  It seems a lot of trouble to go to, porting out an inferior head.  There's always guys selling turbo heads on E bay or if you're in Ontario look in the Tri ad news.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #5October 30, 2004, 05:04:45 pm

dieselpower

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2004, 05:04:45 pm »
does a turbo head flow more air? i thought they were the same. maybe i'll have to find a turbo head to stick on my car again.

Mark
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #6October 30, 2004, 08:33:35 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2004, 08:33:35 pm »
I don't think there's much difference (aside from possible quality differences) between the n/a and turbo ports.

Reply #7October 30, 2004, 09:15:01 pm

Justin

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2004, 09:15:01 pm »
as for the turbo head thats where another problem lays I have the 11mm heads and i dont think that the 12 mm heads are a bolt on are they??

I am in the mood to expirement with this head to see what i can get out of it, I am really interested in the 22 hp gain in the injection pump how much does Giles get to do all of the modifications

and its a *** to find any kind of volkswagen stuff in mid michigan, the only place that i have found is in Auburn Hills (detroit area) and they are a little pricey on their original parts (and I am a poor college student where they are raping me with tuition at Kettering University)

one more thing, how do I tell the difference between the 1.5 and 1.6 without tearing them apart?? are there any casting markings or differences, both of my engines are out of 82's and i just assumed that the one that came in the truck was a 1.6 and then the one that i bought the guy said that it was a 1982 1.5

one more Q what is the better exhaust manifold single or dual outlet??

thanks guys this forum is really good I have already read through all of the old posts
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump

Reply #8October 30, 2004, 10:54:45 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2004, 10:54:45 pm »
Quote from: "Justin"
as for the turbo head thats where another problem lays I have the 11mm heads and i dont think that the 12 mm heads are a bolt on are they??

I am in the mood to expirement with this head to see what i can get out of it, I am really interested in the 22 hp gain in the injection pump how much does Giles get to do all of the modifications

and its a *** to find any kind of volkswagen stuff in mid michigan, the only place that i have found is in Auburn Hills (detroit area) and they are a little pricey on their original parts (and I am a poor college student where they are raping me with tuition at Kettering University)

one more thing, how do I tell the difference between the 1.5 and 1.6 without tearing them apart?? are there any casting markings or differences, both of my engines are out of 82's and i just assumed that the one that came in the truck was a 1.6 and then the one that i bought the guy said that it was a 1982 1.5

one more Q what is the better exhaust manifold single or dual outlet??

thanks guys this forum is really good I have already read through all of the old posts

to tell whether it is a 1.5 or a 1.6 just type the engine code in here:  http://scirocco.org/codes/

Also I think the 1.6 had "1.6" in raised letters on the block at the front somewhere, but that might have just been the gas cars.  It was like that on my 77 rabbit gasser anyway.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

Reply #9October 30, 2004, 11:07:19 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2004, 11:07:19 pm »
Quote from: "dieselpower"
does a turbo head flow more air? i thought they were the same. maybe i'll have to find a turbo head to stick on my car again.

Mark

Probably the same.  But the turbo head has bigger prechambers and it's stronger so it can take more abuse if you plan on getting a lot of hp out of the engine.

Reply #10October 30, 2004, 11:10:21 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2004, 11:10:21 pm »
it says 1.6D on the back of the block near the differential.  1.5L's used round inlet snorkels, 1.6's used oval. the airboxes were interchangeable though.

i'm not sure about that bigger prechamber thing.

Reply #11October 30, 2004, 11:19:17 pm

hillfolk'r

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2004, 11:19:17 pm »
yea td head has bigger prechambers,and is supossed to be heat treated,,there was a bullitin long ago to use slo glo  glow plugs in td,because ofa cold white smoke issue,,mine starts(fast glow),better if i glow it 3, 4 times on cold start,probably due to bigger space in chamber
Throttle cables ftw