Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: NA pump mods?  (Read 9795 times)

October 27, 2004, 10:48:41 pm

leprechan

• Junior

NA pump mods?
« on: October 27, 2004, 10:48:41 pm »
Greetings from the land of slow NA diesels.  I've heard about all these nifty mods for the TD pump, mainly the governor mods.  Has anyone had any experience doing this to a na pump?  I know about Giles modified pumps, but I had mine rebuilt about 10k ago and I need my car on a day to day basis.  I’ve been reading over tons of posts over the months and nobody really talks about na pump mods besides turning in the fuel screw and setting the timing to 1.0(which I’ve already done :) ).  If anyone has any insight on how I would perform this pump surgery I would be very greatful.  Oh, BTW my pump has the atmospheric compensation unit on top if that changes anything.  Hope to here from you soon.

Nick

91' Jetta 1.6na, Monster Power!

Reply #1October 28, 2004, 09:09:44 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

NA pump mods?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 09:09:44 am »
Short of sending your pump and injectors off to Giles to have him work his magic on it, there are a couple of things you can do yourself. Here they are, in no particular order:

First, do the simple advance mod, i.e., adjust the top of the pump towards the block. The procedure is discussed in a couple of recent threads, but I can't find them right now. You'll have to do a search, or maybe someone can point us in the right direction.

You may also wish to do the governor mod, originally discussed in this thread, and then updated here in the new forum in this thread.

Finally, modifying the injectors' pintles to get a faster injection seems to help. The procedure is discussed here, but only indirectly. You'll have to search more, but I have to run to work now.

Hope that helps, but as always, proceed at your own risk...  :D  :wink:
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #2October 28, 2004, 03:06:43 pm

leprechan

• Junior

NA pump mods?
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 03:06:43 pm »
I'm attempting the governor mod and got the 4 allen screws out, but I can't get the lid off.  Something is still holding it down and I don't want to brake anything by prying.  If anyone could help I would be greatful. Thanks in advance.

Nick

Reply #3October 28, 2004, 04:33:37 pm

leprechan

• Junior

NA pump mods?
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 04:33:37 pm »
Also once I took the 4 allen screws out that hold the governor lid down, I coudn't put it back on flush to the pump body.  I hope one you diesel gurus comes online sometime tonight, because I would hope to either get the lid off for the mod tonight or put it back on so I don't get the inside ot the pump dried out and I don't get any crap in there.  Thanks in advance.

Nick

Reply #4October 28, 2004, 05:29:09 pm

HIGH PSI

NA pump mods?
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 05:29:09 pm »
You may need to remove the full load screw to get the lid back on. I generally measure the distance from the end of the screw to the face of the lock nut. Then loosen the nut and back the screw out. Once you have the cover back on you can thread the screw back in to the pre-determined measurement.
'82 2dr Bunny diesel
'81 2dr Bunny racer project                            
'90 Corrado g60
'97 Jetta GLX VR6T
'87 BMW ragtop

Reply #5October 28, 2004, 05:37:25 pm

leprechan

• Junior

NA pump mods?
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 05:37:25 pm »
Thanks HIGH PSI I'll try that.  BTW do you know what I have to do to get it off.  It looks like I have to disconnect that lever from the governer spring assembly.  Hope to hear from you soon.

Nick

Reply #6October 28, 2004, 05:43:26 pm

HIGH PSI

NA pump mods?
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 05:43:26 pm »
There are two ways to do it. One is to remove the throttle lever (after marking it in relation to the shaft, and removing the spring tension) and push the throttle shaft down through the cover. The other is a bit trickier if you are doing this on the car, but the governor spring assembly has a flat spot on the round shaft that runs through the springs. This shaft can be turned in the proper relation to the governor fulcrum arm that comes up out of the pump so that the flat spot comes up out of the governor fulcrum arm slot. Hope this helps.
'82 2dr Bunny diesel
'81 2dr Bunny racer project                            
'90 Corrado g60
'97 Jetta GLX VR6T
'87 BMW ragtop

Reply #7October 28, 2004, 08:29:33 pm

leprechan

• Junior

NA pump mods?
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 08:29:33 pm »
Hey thanks for all the help HIGH PSI.  I pushed the throttle shaft through the cover and it came right off.  I put two nuts in the spring pack of the main governor spring to raise the governor.  I didn't have to take the full load screw out either.  I used an old "fishing trick".  I got some 20 lb. test fishing line and looped it around that arm that the full load screw sits against and pulled it out of the way.  The lid went down smoothly that time.  My only problem is I had already taken the the throttle lever and springs off before you replied and I didn't mark them. :cry: stupid stupid me, HEAD HIT WALL!  If someone could offer me some guidance to putting those springs on and lining the throttle lever up correctly I would be happy to put my diesel back on the road with some much needed extra power.  Some pics would be great too if anyone has any that would help.  Thanks in advance.

Nick

Reply #8October 28, 2004, 10:47:55 pm

leprechan

• Junior

NA pump mods?
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 10:47:55 pm »
Surely there must be someone out there who has taken off the throttle lever and springs and put them back together again.   I would really like to get this back together tonight.  Any help is extremely appreciated.  I know its not anyone else's responsibility to be my encylopedia of diesel so sorry if it sounds like i'm whining.  I hope to hear from someone tonight.

Reply #9October 29, 2004, 12:11:00 am

dieselpower

• Junior

NA pump mods?
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 12:11:00 am »
hey,
it's pretty late right now and i have school tommorow so i dont have time to check it out but if i have time afterschool tommorw i'll take some pics and show you how to put it back together.

Mark
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #10October 29, 2004, 04:56:01 pm

leprechan

• Junior

NA pump mods?
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2004, 04:56:01 pm »
Hey thanks Mark, I look forward to hearing from you or anyone else with some input later today.  Can't wait to get out of the slow lane and into the slightly quicker lane lol.

Nick

Reply #11October 29, 2004, 07:34:13 pm

dieselpower

• Junior

NA pump mods?
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2004, 07:34:13 pm »
hahaha, ok
so i took it apart last night but it was late and the pump i took apart was a lil different then the one i usually work on....anyway i have it all set up so i knew witch parts went where but,.....i dropped them **head hits wall**
anyway now i cant figure out how it goes back together. its not the same as the pump on my car so i have nothin to look at.

so if anyone can help, it would be very much appreciated

Mark
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #12October 29, 2004, 07:49:19 pm

leprechan

• Junior

NA pump mods?
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 07:49:19 pm »
ah crap lol.  Now we both need help.  Seriously there must be someone else out there with the time and energy to help out.  Help from anyone whose done this would be appreciated.

Nick

Reply #13October 29, 2004, 09:13:06 pm

leprechan

• Junior

NA pump mods?
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2004, 09:13:06 pm »
I have one more question though lol.  I can turn the shaft clockwise and it will hit a wall shortly, and I can turn it counterclockwise or towards WOT and it will start to get tight around the governor springs.  So my question is where does the shaft need to be when the throttle lever is put on?  Any help is appreciated.

Nick

Reply #14October 29, 2004, 11:14:03 pm

leprechan

• Junior

NA pump mods?
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2004, 11:14:03 pm »
Well I finally figured that spring thing out and got the throttle lever on, but I can't get it to start.  The pump is not priming itself no matter how many times I crank it.  It does quite a bit of stuttering like its trying to start, but never quite makes it.  I've tryed loosening the injector unions to let the air out while cranking and  I got fuel coming out so I tightened it back up and tryed to start it again.  I'm kind of thinking there might be an airlock in the lid somewhere but I'm not sure.  I tried putting atf in from the return outlet, but that didn't seem to help any.  Any ideas out there?  Or anyone near the southwest corner of Washington hehe?  Any help appreciated.

Nick

S-PAutomotive.com