S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: headliner in a 1985 Jetta  (Read 2231 times)

October 26, 2004, 01:38:37 pm

1985JettaTD

headliner in a 1985 Jetta
« on: October 26, 2004, 01:38:37 pm »
i know this is a fourm about the diesel motor  but i think it is as important for your diesel to look as good as it drives and right now my 1985 jetta td is not looking good.
first off the head liner is falling off in the back above the rear deck and window. i have tryed re glueing it three times, keeps fallin off. i tyred re heating the factory glue, doesnt get stickey. in all i have spent about 2 hours trying to get it back up but will not stay. does anyone have any ideas on how to get it back up with out tacking the head liner out of the car?
second off: the black bumpers and wheel flares do not stay black. i have taken almost every pruduct on the market to them and they will not stay black for more then 2 days. anyone have tips on keepen them black?
thanks for all the help!!!!

Reply #1October 27, 2004, 02:01:36 pm

janb

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 02:01:36 pm »
for the headliner, I will assume it is foam backed cloth, seperating from the 'molded' carboard like factory stuff, (none of my A2 diesels have this type, they are 'vinyl' on molded composite)  I recently re-did a 92 GTI that was cloth.  So in that case. pull the whole thing out, strip off the cloth, wire brush degraded foam residue from cardboard(with fine brush / by hand). Clean surface very well, and wipe with damp cloth.  Buy some 'headliner' material (preferably with 1/8" foam backing rather than 1/4" foam)  Local "big" fabric stores have it, or I go to a 'automotive trim accessory wholesaler'  it will cost ~$15 either place.  Get some good 3M upholstery spray adhesive (~$7) and coat as per instruction.  With two people, start in center and drop fabric onto molded piece, work out the bubbles as you stretch to the perimeter.  reinstall.  Takes only a couple hours.  (w/o sunroof) For the Rabbit versions, I just remake a new vinyl headliner as per pre '81, with suspended metal bow's.  The later rabbits have the pockets for headliner clips, and I get the clips from 'u-pull-it' pre '81 Rabbits,  Same on Caddy, just need more work at rear corner.  These vinyl ones take a little longer (4hrs), but are still ~$15 - $20 in materials  Sunroof add ~4 hrs :(   The vinyl headliners are really nice, and will survive our 'anti-VW-winters' in PNW (100" of rain, largely running through fuse panel) (currently wearing 'irrigation boots' while driving)

If you have the 'vinyl' headliner on composite board, I would tear it off, (or at least any loose portions) and reinstall foam backed fabric. or find a solid one in a junk yard,   The fabric looks great, and covers 'multitude of sins'  (smudges, tears, holes). :D
The Stealth Rabbit
VW-d's are forever

Reply #2November 01, 2004, 01:46:19 pm

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 01:46:19 pm »
I found another thing that works for the black trim. I found it on one of these sites, not sure if it was this one or not. I did a search and didn't see it on here.  I had nothing to loose so I tried it. Just take a propane torch and just let the blue flame kiss the plastic. Move it along at a steady movement. It worked great. I guess it basically turns the plastic back to it's original state in a way.  Just make sure you clean up the plastic really well. Go over it with Simple Green and rinse it off well. Then just torch it. :D
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Fixmyvw.com