Author Topic: exhaust  (Read 2275 times)

October 25, 2004, 09:29:21 pm

Spydr26

exhaust
« on: October 25, 2004, 09:29:21 pm »
Hey guy's I have a '94 golf 1.9 turbo. My exhaust is caput on this car so I'm looking at replacing it for some more perfomance. I think the best way to go is a 2.5" straight pipe all the way back but I'm looking for your advice. Should I remove the cat as well? should I have any muffler at all for back pressure? Do I start at the down pipe or right from the turbo? Any and all help would be appreciated. thanks.

Reply #1October 25, 2004, 10:30:29 pm

DVST8R

• Veteran

exhaust
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 10:30:29 pm »
Start at the turbo and go 2.5" or 3" all the way back no cat, most people find that they need a muffler or the resonance gets out of hand. For that I would suggest a dynomax bullet 'race series' muffler. As the car is turbocharged you do not need or want any "back pressure" at all. An Ideal setup for a turbod car is to just have a big open downpipe.

In the future I would recomend to 'search' as this and alot of other topics have been coverd in depth many times. :wink:
The Brett of the board...

The Dark Side of Beauty.[/i]

Reply #2October 26, 2004, 08:32:24 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

exhaust
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 08:32:24 am »
The 'resonators' used on turbocharged Eclipses and Talons are a good idea, too. They come up to 3" and can be purchased from any of the DSM performance places (google on 'dsm exhaust performance', or start with these guys Vendor Links or DSM Tuners). If you don't see what you're looking for, give them a call and ask about buying just a resonator. The job if the resonator is to take the high frequency harmonics out of the pipe, thereby eliminating the annoying buzzing one can get without a cat/muffler combo.

PS - fspGTD has built a custom turbo-back exhaust for his Mk1 Rabbit TD, and has some great ideas. Using the search funtion enter his user name, then search back through his threads.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Fixmyvw.com