S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Quantum engine into mkII golf?  (Read 1987 times)

October 22, 2004, 11:03:50 pm

mike71ghia

Quantum engine into mkII golf?
« on: October 22, 2004, 11:03:50 pm »
I've found a quantum turbo diesel for sale and have an 8v 86 golf with a retired gas engine. What would I need  to put the quantum diesel into the golf? plumbing the lines and flushing out the tank will be no prob, what about mounts, brackets, manifold differences , flywheel clutch differences ? Planning on using the 5speed that's in the golf.
Thanks for being so helpful.
Mike

Reply #1October 23, 2004, 08:21:30 am

VWRacer

• Veteran

Quantum engine into mkII golf?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2004, 08:21:30 am »
I'm putting an '84 Quantum 1.6TD engine into a MkI Rabbit, so our situations are very similar. My Rabbit also has a complete engine, so many of the detail parts are already there and will swap over to the TD. The clutch/flywheel, engine mounts, accessories and mounts, oil pan (and pump?), and turbo oil feed line all will have to be changed from the gasser. You will need to find a Jetta/Golf TD manifold, as I am told that the Quantum's manifold will not work (IIRC, it places the turbo inside the tranny... :wink: .)

You'll need either to weld in the turbo's oil drain line bung to the Golf oil pan or find a Golf/Jetta TD oil pan with the bung already installed. The line itself should work. The turbo works fine, too, but its oil feed line is different. You can make your own or swap one from a Golf/Jetta TD.

VW 4-cyl inline engine clutches and flywheels are tranny-specific, not engine-specific, so don't worry about this. At a minimum, replace the clutch and disk with cheapo OEM replacement parts while you have the engine apart. If you plan to do any performance upgrades, you should consider an upgraded clutch/disk.

I'm sure I've overlooked some stuff, but you'll figure it out as you go. And while it isn't exactly a bolt-in, there doesn't appear to be anything beyond the capabilities of any back-yard mechanic who is willing to do any other engine swap. The beauty is that the TD was commonly installed in the MkII, so everything you need is in junkyards everywhere... :D
Stan
C-Sports Racer