S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: fuel tank blues....  (Read 1897 times)

October 20, 2004, 07:23:20 am

gldgti

• Veteran

• http://scramjetsite.8m.com
fuel tank blues....
« on: October 20, 2004, 07:23:20 am »
hi everyone,

I love biodiesel, i really do, except... i had some pretty ordinary fuel in the tank last week, and went home on the weekend leaving the car outside overnight. the fuel went solid in the tank (not the first time).

something i've noticed when i get this problem, is that afterwards, when its warmed up and drivable again, its seldom more than 5 minutes driving before a small pre-filter i have before the big filter gets totally glogged with black, dirty looking muck.

last week was particularly bad. in 200 kms worth of driving after the "thaw", i had to replace that filter 3 times. my theory is that when the fuel goes hard and then thaws, it strips all the scaley buildup from the inside of the fuel tank (buildup curtasy of dino-diesel i guess).

anyone got any ideas of how to clean this rubbish out of the tank for good?

'77 Golf LS 4 door twincharger project
'91 Golf Cabrio 1.9TD
'94 Golf TD - AAZ, 2.5" Mandrel DP and exhaust, Merc T3 1.6TD boost pin, FMIC, Koni suspension, VR6 Brakes, VR6 Seats, VR6 sway-bars - sadly missed
'07 SKODA Octavia 1.9 TDI PD - Remapped ECU

Reply #1October 20, 2004, 08:48:40 pm

gldgti

• Veteran

• http://scramjetsite.8m.com
fuel tank blues....
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 08:48:40 pm »
to answer your question, the smaller filter infront of the larger filter is because they only cost $2 whereas a the proper diesel filter costs about $30. saves money.

you'de be surprised how cold it gets here too - my home is up a mountain and we often get sleet in winter, apparently it snowed a few times too. remember most of australias population lives in the tempartate seaside zone, not out in the desert...

the biodiesel does go solid too - this is not biodiesel we make that i had, it was some we scavenged, which was made from tallow (animal fat) as opposed to biodiesel made from vegetable oils, which goes solid at much lower temperatures. even the good stuff we make from cottonseed oil goes solid sometimes at -4 to -8 degrees, depending on how badly burned the oil was when shop owners were making theire fish and chips...

i was hoping i wouldnt get the fuel tank replacement line, oh well, maybe one day...
'77 Golf LS 4 door twincharger project
'91 Golf Cabrio 1.9TD
'94 Golf TD - AAZ, 2.5" Mandrel DP and exhaust, Merc T3 1.6TD boost pin, FMIC, Koni suspension, VR6 Brakes, VR6 Seats, VR6 sway-bars - sadly missed
'07 SKODA Octavia 1.9 TDI PD - Remapped ECU

Fixmyvw.com