S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: 1y timing belt install woes  (Read 4550 times)

November 11, 2006, 10:54:05 am

wookey

1y timing belt install woes
« on: November 11, 2006, 10:54:05 am »
hi all,

changing my timing belt in my 1y. set to tdc, set the semi-auto tension ok, tighened up the cam and tensioner nut/bolt. all ok, come to rotate the crank through 2 turns, then i hit the problem.

TDC is screwed. way out.! if i put the crank on the tdc mark the cam is not close to lining up. i have to rotate the crank another 3 or 5 teeth before the cam lines up, obviously by then TDC on the flywheel is gone!

HELP! anyone got any ideas??, 6 hours later, had the belt on of lots!  im no where further along.

thanks mushly

wookey

Reply #1November 11, 2006, 04:14:23 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 04:14:23 pm »
Before removing the belt did you see how all the timing marks lined up? You may have to manually find TDC of the piston using a wire, or some of the other methods described on here.

BTW, what engine is a 1y?
Tyler

Reply #2November 12, 2006, 12:45:26 am

commuter boy

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 12:45:26 am »
Well, at least you're being patient enough to do it right.

Are you really, really sure that's the right TDC mark?

Start over, get the flywheel at TDC.  Lock the pump, loosen the tensioner and cam pulley.

Set the camshaft manually so the slot in the end lines up with the tool.  I use a pair of feeler gauges as shims to really make sure it's lined up properly on the head.

Now check TDC again.  Put the belt on, set the tensioner, and bolt on the cam pulley.  Quite often tightening the tensioner will move the flywheel a bit, you may need someone to hold it in place, or learn to "lead" it enough to make up for the movement when you tension it.

If it's all good, then spin 'er around twice, and then make sure it's the same TDC mark.

Reply #3November 13, 2006, 09:53:09 pm

Doug

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 09:53:09 pm »
Remember that the camsahft pulley is on a taper so loosening the pulley by backing out the bolt will allow you to keep the cam in the correct position while aligning the pump and crankshaft TDC with the belt in tension. Then tighten the pulley bolt, checking the correct relation of all three points, cam - crank - pump. It is simple when you do it this way.