S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Experts... oil filter question- no bypass  (Read 6579 times)

November 02, 2006, 12:31:10 pm

addautomotive

Experts... oil filter question- no bypass
« on: November 02, 2006, 12:31:10 pm »
Fellahs,

I remember a while ago there was a debate about oil filters. Someone stated that some of the cheaper brands don't have a bypass, so if they plug you get no oil flow.

Well, I want one. If I can find one, I'd like to try it for filtering vegetable oil. I could then use a VW filter mount.

Anyone?

Reply #1November 02, 2006, 12:47:22 pm

Jetta Fan

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 12:47:22 pm »
I remember years ago someone telling me the filters from Canadian Tire had no by-pass. Not sur eif it's true or not, but might be worth investigating. I'm not sure who makes their filters now.
1997 Jetta 1.9TD AAZ

Reply #2November 02, 2006, 01:11:59 pm

saurkraut

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 01:11:59 pm »
The stock VW diesel oil filter has no bypass.  Best of my reclection on the bypass in the gasser oil filters are to prevent oil starvation on cold starts.

If you change oil on a regular basis, i sincerely doubt that you will ever plug a filter.
'79 1.6TD RABBIT
'84 1.5TD RABBIT
'83 Diesel Westy
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo Quatro Wagon
92 Audi 100
'93 Eurovan
'82 Porsche 930

Reply #3November 02, 2006, 04:57:21 pm

addautomotive

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 04:57:21 pm »
Hmmm, crappy tire sells Bosch. I'll check and see if they actually have a motomaster brand filter.

If it does have a bypass, it would just be a spring loaded disc at the bottom, correct? If so, I could check without taking it apart

Reply #4November 02, 2006, 04:59:09 pm

addautomotive

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 04:59:09 pm »
Quote from: saurkraut
The stock VW diesel oil filter has no bypass.  Best of my reclection on the bypass in the gasser oil filters are to prevent oil starvation on cold starts.

If you change oil on a regular basis, i sincerely doubt that you will ever plug a filter.

I'm not going to use it for an engine oil filter, but as a veggie oil filter. That's why I want to make sure it doesn't have a bypass. I want to make sure it would plug instead of just opening up.

Reply #5November 02, 2006, 06:54:51 pm

addautomotive

newsflash
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 06:54:51 pm »
Just cut apart 2 VW diesel oil filters:

-Fram has a spring loaded bypass

-Bosch has no bypass (Edit; I was wrong, see below)
It's actually a good thing the Fram filter has a bypass, I bet it has 1/2 to 2/3 the surface area as the Bosch. I'll post pics this weekend.

So, I think these oil filters could be very useful for filtering vegetable oil. I'll have to double check the specs, methinks they're 10 micron

Reply #6November 02, 2006, 07:00:17 pm

Jetta Fan

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 07:00:17 pm »
Canadian Tire sells Bosch filters?????

I don't remember seeing them there. They do have their own brand and that is what I was referring to.
1997 Jetta 1.9TD AAZ

Reply #7November 02, 2006, 07:41:39 pm

addautomotive

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 07:41:39 pm »
Whoops, posted too soon!

I just did some digging online, which said that the Bosch 72174 DOES have a bypass. I just went back out to the garage and had a closer look, and sure enough, it does. It's just in a different spot than on the Fram.

FWIW, the difference between the Bosch & the Fram are surprising. for years, I've heard people say Fram is crap, but I didn't expect the differences to be so noticeable.

Reply #8November 02, 2006, 08:29:52 pm

macsdub

• Junior

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 08:29:52 pm »
its not having a bypass or not
its the pressure it "breaks " at
fram and cheapos break at like 8-20 psi
and vw filters break like 45?psi or so
that equals more filtering capability over the life of the filter
just dont use a cheap fram/wix-etc
use a good mann or bosch or oem
is a 2-4000$$ engine worth the difference in a 4 dollar vs 8 dollar oil filter?
not to me
i even paid 18 bucks for a filter at a dealer once,cause the local import store was out
yea flame me for it,but my engine was happer that i did it :roll:
most of the time this is hilfolk'r... ive forgotten my password

Reply #9November 02, 2006, 08:57:08 pm

addautomotive

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 08:57:08 pm »
I dunno, maybe people aren't reading my whole post, so I'll summarise:

I am looking for a non-bypass oil filter that I can use to filter vegetable oil.

I had been under the impression that some cheapie oil filters don't have a bypass in them. To my surprise, Fram has a bypass.

Reply #10November 02, 2006, 10:40:17 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 10:40:17 pm »
Would a fuel filter work?

Are you only looking at diesel filters or gas ones as well? (not sure if there is a differance)
Tyler

Reply #11November 02, 2006, 10:56:20 pm

QuickTD

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 10:56:20 pm »
Any oil filter spec'd for a bypass has one, doesn't matter if its a "cheapy" or not. All oil filters will bypass to some extent on cold startup to protect the media from rupturing under the high pressure differential and to prevent oil starvation due to thick oil that won't flow through the filter media. Some manufacturers incorporate the bypass valve into the filter base, but most place it in the filter. VW puts it in the filter so all aftermarket filters, regardless of cost, must include it in their design or there would be numerous cases of engine failure from cold start oil starvation.

Some filter companies substitute the ford PH8 filter for the VW diesel filter. While they are physically interchangable, the ford filter bypasses at about 10 psi and the VW filter at 30psi.  

If you want to be assured of having no bypass use a fuel filter. Generic filter bases are available at your local truck parts outfit that will accept any filter with a 1"-14 thread. Cummins and Cat fuel filters will both fit a 1"-14 base. You can then choose from a wide array of large, cheap and effective fuel filters. The cummins filters without a water drain cost less than $5.

Reply #12November 03, 2006, 01:34:13 am

LeeG

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 01:34:13 am »
What about some of those home water filters, the ones with the translucent bottom that unscrews to put the filter in?  You can get a variety of filters, so maybe pass it through a series of 3 filters, one a washable screen, one a cheap disposable 'sediment' filter and then a 10 micron.   Then use a quality fuel filter in the car.

The filter bodies are under $20 each as I recall and the media are cheap.    Used to double filter our home water when we pulled it from a lake.
'97 Passat TDI

Reply #13November 03, 2006, 09:32:57 am

addautomotive

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 09:32:57 am »
Thanks folks,

Currently I'm using the screw-on style fuel filters from older vw & volvo diesels. They work fine, but I thought a VW oil filter would offer more filtration area and be better suited for heat.

Plus, if I could use a VW oil filter, I could use one of those VW oil coolers to heat the vegetable oil a bit before it's filtered. But, unless there are non-bypass vw oil filters I won't bother.

Reply #14November 05, 2006, 12:53:37 am

fatmobile

• Veteran

• http://www.geocities.com/vwfatmobile/
oil filters
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 12:53:37 am »
I've been using oil filters on the stock oil filter mount, to filter my vegy for years.
 I ran a couple in series so the first one is a used one (free) and the second one is a new one. I almost never have to change the new second stage filter and the first used one is ready to change at about oil change time or longer.
 I don't run it much over 30psi, which is the bypass pressure
Tornado red, '91 Golf 4 door,
with a re-ringed, '84 quantum, turbo diesel, MD block

Fixmyvw.com