Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Air in fuel line?  (Read 3924 times)

November 01, 2006, 08:46:51 am

tdorval

• User+

Air in fuel line?
« on: November 01, 2006, 08:46:51 am »
Hello all,
I have a 92 Jetta Eco diesel. I just changed the injection pump to a turbo diesel on because my eco diesel pump was leaking. I have air in the line going from the injection pump back to the fuel filter. Even when it is runnign i can see air bubbles goign through this line towards the fuel filter. I'm really not sure what to look for so any help would be appreciated. Also, it seems to start harder now, could this be from the air in the line?
Thanks
TJ

Reply #1November 01, 2006, 10:36:26 am

Darkness_is_spreading

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 10:36:26 am »
Air in the lines is a big problem,  if you changed the injector pump did you change out the fuel filter.....    

Also what is the specs on the pump; new, used,  run with bio diesel with older seals, run with low sulfur diesel.....    

Also do you have a clear line running from the filter to the pump,  maybe you have air rushing in through there...

check all lines to the fuel filter,  there is no way to know  unless everything is checked

I have a small leak on my return line but it runs into the fule filter,  I ma leaking air in there, and after a hard run at night,  in the morning,  the car starts roughly, until the air get's out of the pump.
83 Jetta 1.9 T (Project Darkness)
88 Jetta 1.6 NA (Dead/Crushed)
92 Jetta 1.6 T (Sleepin)
96 Golf 1.9 T (Parts Car + Mexican Rust Bucket)

Reply #2November 01, 2006, 10:56:55 am

tdorval

• User+

Air in fuel line?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 10:56:55 am »
the fuel filter was not changed when i did the pump. It was a used pump, i was told it had no leaks and that the seals were good. It doesn't leak. There was air in the line before i did the pump. I have a clear line from the filter to the pump and theres no apparent air in that line. When i bought the car a few months ago the guy said he just change the injector lines, and they all look relatively new. Could my fuel filter be the problem? The return line, where the fitting goes into the fuel filter, feels somewhat loose. I'm not sure of this should be very tight, but i'm guess it could be the problem. So i'll probably try changing the fuel filter. The thing is even at idle i can see air bubbles running through the clear line from the injector pump to the fuel filter.
Thanks for the help
TJ

Reply #3November 01, 2006, 05:28:08 pm

burn_your_money

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran

• Personal Text
    Bright, On
Air in fuel line?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 05:28:08 pm »
You might need a new seal where the return line hooks up to the pump
Tyler

Reply #4November 01, 2006, 06:45:18 pm

tdorval

• User+

Air in fuel line?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 06:45:18 pm »
ok, i looked at it a bit more. When i turn the car off there are bubbles coming from the pump to the fuel filter. COuld this line be the problem. If it is that seal how can i check.
Thanks
TJ