S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: hella driving lights  (Read 6265 times)

October 31, 2006, 04:55:43 pm

A Guy

hella driving lights
« on: October 31, 2006, 04:55:43 pm »
I am interested in installing a set of these on the front of my MK3 golf.  Anyone who has done this can you offer any feedback or things you'd do differently.  Pictures are very much appreciated.
TIA.
Out.

Reply #1October 31, 2006, 10:15:35 pm

Chestrockwell

• Junior

hella driving lights
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 10:15:35 pm »
I drive through the rockies a few times a year and got tired of not being able to see so I bought KC HiLites Slimlite long range series. These are 130W each and are noticably different to the hellas I have owned. I think they were 270CAD to my door and well worth it. Make it look like the stock high beems aren't working when I turn on the kcs. Either way you go, for mounting, I welded a short (2 or 3") piece of 1/4x1" flat bar to the front cross member or  whatever it's called; the steel protrudes just below the grill and the lights don't shake! I looked into the hella's and wasn't satisfied with their higher end stuff. I've owned lots of the 55W lamps and they're good for off road but not hiway. The slim lights I have are proportioned well on the front of the car; not big an fat. Look up the specs they're all there. I will get more pics from the side if you're interested.

peace,

Chester

Reply #2November 01, 2006, 01:37:04 am

LeeG

• Veteran

hella driving lights
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 01:37:04 am »
I had a set of 160 watt (each) KC lights on a truck and got fed up with having to send the smashed bulbs to california to get replacements.  Then I found that wagner makes a 150 watt sealed beam in same size and you can also get black rubber bucket type housings to fit.  I can dig up mine and find #s if anyone cares.  I sourced them at a heavy truck parts place.

KC lights: 160 watt $300 bux
wagner 150 watt light plus buckets ~ $50 pair.

Either one of these makes a seriously bright light, bright enough that oncoming cars will flash their lights at you in daylight if you have them on.
Relay them off highbeams.  You wont outdrive em on a stright road!  If I was still commuting the Sea to Sky I'd mount them just like picture above.  You want a solid mount, these lights will make shadows dance all over the place if they are jiggling around.

Too much light to be legal in BC, but living up North I never had a problem.
'97 Passat TDI

Reply #3November 01, 2006, 01:49:30 pm

MacGyver

• Junior

hella driving lights
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 01:49:30 pm »
LeeG, I would be interested to know that.

Forward illumination should be limited solely by the curvature of the earth :twisted:

20IndigoBlue02 on the TDI Club has a set of Hella FF1000's on the front of his A4 Jetta, that looks like the ticket!

There are several other people I've read over there that have additional Hella (and other brand) driving lights & love them. Can't seem to find other posts right now though :oops:
This site has a good overview of the Hella selection available:
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Auxiliary_Lamps.asp
And beam comparisons:
http://www.rallylights.com/hella/ISOLUX_Diagrams_Driving.asp

Chestrockwell, KC's different that Hella's how?
Your mounting sounds similar to what I have in mind.

Been wanting to add aux driving lights to my car for ages...got to get around to it :shock:

Reply #4November 02, 2006, 02:12:46 am

LeeG

• Veteran

hella driving lights
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 02:12:46 am »
OK the sealed beam units are Wagner number 4049 13volt 150 watt.  I remember paying $14 each and saw them cheaper than that tonight via google.

I dont have the rubber housings anymore, I kept the KCs.  But what you are looking for is a tractor / utility light housing for a 6" bulb.
Look here:  http://www.grote.com/prodcat/E.html  they list several options for Par46 housings that appear to be the right diameter.  I had basic one piece rubber ones and remember paying $9 each.

Any decent auto/truck electrical place should be able to set you up.  

A relay, some wire and a place to mount them and you'd be rockin.   Like I said above, I wired them to come on with highbeams, with a switch on dash to disable them.  I used to have 100 watt highbeams as well for a total of 500 watts of light, great for blasting through the north woods in the middle of the night.  I might have to go put these on the Jetta!
'97 Passat TDI

Reply #5November 03, 2006, 01:26:44 pm

MacGyver

• Junior

hella driving lights
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 01:26:44 pm »
Thanks Lee

That all makes sense, and googles nicely. I have several local farm supply and truck places I'll check with.

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/ecart/catalog/catw-1.html

For something a little smaller:
Wagner 4509, 100W PAR36...mmm, aircraft landing bulb :)

Wagner 4522 PAR 46...250W...ok that might be approaching overkill...

Wagner 4556 PAR 64 aircraft landing bulb...1000W.
Excuse me, I need a few moments alone :shock: ...too bad it's 28V :P

Reply #6November 04, 2006, 01:41:28 pm

A Guy

hella driving lights
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 01:41:28 pm »
That's some good info.  I'll read and go from there.  Thanks
Out.

Reply #7April 22, 2007, 10:47:57 am

rabbitman

• Veteran

hella driving lights
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 10:47:57 am »
I have a pair of autopal 5" lights on my rabbit. I got 'em on ebay new from an autopal dealer for $25, they also have 4 and 6 inch ones. They don't come with any wiring so I bought wire and a relay at napa. I have a set of 4" ones on my subaru and 6" ones on my toyota. I think the 4 and 5 inch ones are the best, the 4" ones are made kinda cheap though. Hope this helps.
'82 Rabbit, I put on a euro vnt-15, 2.25" DP, 2.5" exhaust, the result.....it whistled.

I removed the turbo, made a toilet bowl 2.5" DP, the result....it was deafening. Now it has a homemade muffler up front and a thrush in the rear, the result.....less loud.
Watch: AGENDA, GRINDING AMERICA DOWN