Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: need help  (Read 3987 times)

October 30, 2006, 08:07:39 pm

scopefrfd

• Veteran

need help
« on: October 30, 2006, 08:07:39 pm »
I need some piston oil squirtter nozzles for my volvo D24T, for some crazy reason the nozzles on my td are broken....I thnk the audi 5 cyl and the 4 cyl may be the same

Reply #1October 30, 2006, 09:19:01 pm

itzdshtz

• Junior

need help
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 09:19:01 pm »
The audi 2.0 TD and 2.2 gas turbo engine squirters are the same. There are a lot of turbo gas engines around in junkyards, so they are probably the easiest to get.
1989 Vanagon Westfalia 2.1
1987 Vanagon Syncro Westfalia 2.0 TD
2004 Audi allroad 4.2
1997 Audi A6
1985 Audi 5000 Td
http://vanagonsyncroproject-herman.blogspot.com/
http://picasaweb.google.com/itzdshtz/VanagonSyncroProject02

Reply #2October 30, 2006, 09:30:31 pm

scopefrfd

• Veteran

need help
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2006, 09:30:31 pm »
thanks...I'm off to the junk yard

Reply #3October 30, 2006, 10:50:28 pm

745 turbogreasel

need help
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 10:50:28 pm »
did somone install VW TD pistons?  
They are just like the 'Volvo' ones except the squirter notch is 90* out of position.

Reply #4October 30, 2006, 10:55:01 pm

scopefrfd

• Veteran

need help
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2006, 10:55:01 pm »
Not unless it came from the factory that way...first time the engine came apart...but I honestly didn't note the orientation of the pistons before I removed them.  I'll check them later and make sure they are oriented properly.   I have seen some vw pistons that have 2 notches in the skirts...must be for vw and volvo/audi engines.  

thanks for the tip and I'll let you know how I make out.

Reply #5November 04, 2006, 06:05:43 pm

scopefrfd

• Veteran

need help
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 06:05:43 pm »
Well itzdshtz was right, the audi 5TQ had the same oil squitters, thanks for the tip.  What a pain trying to take them out of an engine in the junkyard, but that job is done.  I ported the head...filled up half of a coffee can with the aluminum I removed.  I'll post pics when I get the head back from the machine shop...they're putting in new guides a valve job and resurfacing the head.  

What I have noticed is...I think it's baloney that the rear 2 cylinders do not get enough oil...On the block, I checked the rod and main bearings and they all had about the same wear, which is basically none.  the 5,6 cylinder bores look great...just like 1-4.    I haven't measured the bores yet...but did give it a quick hone with a ball hone and there was a nice cross-hatch without any vertical scratches.  barely perceptible ridge..I think a ridge reamer would do more harm than good on this one.  

On the head, the cam bearings look good, no wear on the rear 2 bearing caps...the lifter bores look good, and the valves and cam have nothing out of the ordinary.

The engine DID have alot of sludge in it...and the rings were all carboned up and stuck...that's why no compression.    I have 4 rings that I have yet to loosen up...I have them sitting in a carb cleaner...hopefully that'll get them loose.

My understanding is that volvo recommended a 7500 oil change interval on a turbo diesel...I doubt volvo or the owners sought out turbo diesel specific diesel CD oil.  These engines were a victim of improper maintanence more than anything else.

I pressure washed the block and when I put some water into the oil feed hole from the pump...water instantly shot out of all the holes simultaneously...I believe # 3or #4 main bearing feeds the oil to the head...many people believe the oil is fed from the #1 cylinder then 1-6 in that order.  That's not the case..the most  the oil has to feed is 2 caps and 2 oilers on each side.  

I also disassembled the turbo, as the turbo did spin but it had more resistance than it should...it would spin but instantly stop once you stopped putting pressure on it.  Results, same thing carbon build up...once everything was dipped and cleaned..it looked new.  I partially assembled the turbo and it spins like new with min shaft play.  I haven't decided whether to replace the turbine side seal...as a precaution.

Hopefully the ZF auto tranny is good...I bought it not running.  But the person drove the car right up to when it wouldn't start..so I have no reason to believe it would be bad.

I will be going the intercooler route...with the ported head...and polished piston tops.  I hope to produce more hp for the same amount of boost pressure.  i.e. boost is just a measure of resistance in the intake tract.  An example is people who add a 16v head to a g60 supercharger..boost levels stay about the same or  actually go down on a 16v head because the 16v head flows so much better, especially PP'd heads, but they are producing 50 more hp over the 8v because of the better flowing 16v head