Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Speedometer  (Read 2546 times)

October 30, 2006, 11:03:08 am

Turbinepowered

• Veteran

Speedometer
« on: October 30, 2006, 11:03:08 am »
So.

I'm almost to the point where I can clear out the garage and start working on the SyncroTD I've been dying to get a jump on.

Part of this conversion will be taking the rather boring and uninformative gauge cluster that came with the QSW out and replacing it with the much nicer (In my opinion) cluster that came out of an Audi 5ktd. Only transmission change that's being made is the installation of a taller 5th gear for highway cruising.

Which leaves me at an issue. The stock speedometer reads 1707 in little letters along the bottom of the gauge, while the speedo in the Audi gauge cluster reads 1625. I've been told these numbers are significant, indicating a rotation:miles ratio; if I just directly swapped, the new speedo would read significantly higher than what I already have, if I understand this correctly.

Anyone here swapped out speedometers before and hit this problem? Is it something I can do myself or should I find a speedometer shop around here to help me out?

Reply #1November 01, 2006, 07:37:36 am

Justin

• Veteran

Speedometer
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 07:37:36 am »
there are three speedometer gears that go in the the transmission, they are color coded. so if your speed reading is off then you should be able to get a different colored gear. I think the three colors are green, white, and red, but i am not for sure.
www.archeryprostaffmi.com
1985 GMC pickup 4x4 lift kit and runs 14.625 @ 91mph
1982 VW rabbit pickup 1.6L just rebuilt, 100mm cv's, 02A transmission
1997 Geo Tracker 1.9 TDI-M, variable gate turbo, Giles Pump

S-PAutomotive.com