Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Turbo's that will work?  (Read 2155 times)

October 14, 2004, 05:58:11 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Turbo's that will work?
« on: October 14, 2004, 05:58:11 am »
What model year turbo's would fit my 91 ECO that has a KKK on it now? I have found a few but don't want to get anything that will not just bolt right up to my Jetta. I'm not as handy at fabrication as some on here. I found one on a 1985. Does it have to come off a jetta or can I get one off a golf?

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #1October 14, 2004, 07:32:59 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Turbo's that will work?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 07:32:59 am »
just out of curiosity, why are you replacing it?  the KKK's a good turbo...
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #2October 14, 2004, 08:22:56 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Turbo's that will work?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 08:22:56 am »
I just want to get a spare. So if I can find a good price on one then I need to know what to look for.  

Are you suppose to be able to hear the turbo?  I really can't heard mine. I wonder if my cat is clogged some?  Oh well more to tinker with.
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #3October 14, 2004, 12:46:00 pm

chrissev

• Veteran

Turbo's that will work?
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 12:46:00 pm »
Quote from: "Rat407"
I just want to get a spare. So if I can find a good price on one then I need to know what to look for.  

Are you suppose to be able to hear the turbo?  I really can't heard mine. I wonder if my cat is clogged some?  Oh well more to tinker with.

They're pretty reliable.  Mine has 380,000km on it and still works fine.  They have almost no moving parts and the turbine floats on a liquid oil bearing so there is no friction and hence no wear.  What usually happens is either someone runs bad oil and destroys the bearing, or someone allows dirt to get into the air intake and destroys the turbine.  If you avoid doing either of those two things, your turbo will last far longer than your engine.
88 Jetta TD....sold for $1000, bought an 06 Cobalt, clearing out the diesel jetta stuff now

S-PAutomotive.com