S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Factory fog lights - MK3 Jetta  (Read 3315 times)

October 25, 2006, 02:34:42 pm

Jetta Fan

• Veteran

Factory fog lights - MK3 Jetta
« on: October 25, 2006, 02:34:42 pm »
I did a search but couldn't find much info.....

I was wondering if anyone here has the factory fog lights on a MK3 Jetta and if so, how good are they? I drive on some back country roads and want some additional light. I have a set of Bosch Pilot driving lights for high beam use and I'm running Sylvania SilverStars in the headlights. But would like a little something for when I'm running low beam, and thought I'd try the factory lights but want feedback before I shell out the cash for them.

Thanks.

1997 Jetta 1.9TD AAZ

Reply #1October 27, 2006, 01:50:49 pm

addautomotive

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 01:50:49 pm »
I used to have a set like these (except the Bosch equivalent) on the bumper of my old 87 jetta. They are now on my samurai.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hella-Model-500-Clear-Fog-light-kit-H3-55W-halogen-bulb_W0QQitemZ300040769028QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33709QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They are nice for backroads, because they cast a nice, bright wide beam into the woods. You'd be amazed by all the little eyes you start seeing!

If you want to see further up the road, then these driving lights are nice:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hella-Model-500-Driving-light-kit-w-H3-55W-Halogen-Bulb_W0QQitemZ300040769039QQihZ020QQcategoryZ33709QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Side note: Mine ended up on the samurai because my wife thought they'd look goofy on the bumper of our A3 Jetta. Well, about 3 weeks ago I saw another A3 jetta with them, and it looked AWESOME... even wifey thought so. Looks like I'll buy another set.

I find them very helpful on long drives liek when I head to Montreal; good lights make the driving a lot easier and reduce fatigue. Just be careful of oncoming traffic; these are very hard on oncoming traffic, or on cars ahead of you. My rule of thumb is to NOT use the lights if I can see another car.

Reply #2November 07, 2006, 12:52:39 am

akrallysport

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 12:52:39 am »
In my opinion, they are probably the best OEM fog setup in a compact car. It is a true fog light with a distinct cut-off. My dad was able to drive through some of the craziest fog along the St-Lawrence river at 3AM.

I didn't mind having aux lights hanging from the bumper, so I have some Bosch yellow fogs and looking to order some Hella driving lights.

Fixmyvw.com