S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Engine used in Quantum?  (Read 2348 times)

October 09, 2004, 03:24:28 pm

mike71ghia

Engine used in Quantum?
« on: October 09, 2004, 03:24:28 pm »
I recently heard of a quantum diesel for sale a few towns over.
I was wondering what engine this car has? Were they all turbo diesel 1.6 or did they have Normal aspiration in this model also? I ask b/c I went to check prices on a few maintanance items at advance auto's website and the only diesel option was the 1.6 Turbo for all years listed.
How do these things handle? I haven't had a rear wheel vw with a front engine before. No foxes no quantum.. about the only vw's I haven't owned. Oh yeah a notchback also
 :cry:
Thanks

Reply #1October 09, 2004, 03:56:58 pm

Mark(The Miser)UK

• Veteran

Quantum Query
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 03:56:58 pm »
Here in UK both TD and n/a were available only seen 1 n/a so not the usual. I think over your side of the pond only TD version.
They're not rear wheel drive unless its a 4 wheel drive version which I believe was only in the 5 cylinder gassers.
My Quantum 1.6TD pulls well; will skid tyres if needed. In 5th gear will comfortably overtake between 50 and 70+ mph. will cruise at 80 will reach 100 if I wish does 45mpg (UK) round town and 60mpg on 'interstate'@70mph+ (37.5 to 50 USmpg)
Quantum drivers would never trade one in for a Rabbit ;o)
Pulled a tonne of sand and carried 200KG on the 'GL' roof rails
 'Bloody Marvellous'
Mark-The-Miser-UK

"There's nothing like driving past a bonfire and then realising; its my car on fire!"

I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee: drive a Quantum TD
 ...The best work-horse after the cart...

Reply #2October 09, 2004, 04:15:34 pm

racer_x

• Junior

Engine used in Quantum?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 04:15:34 pm »
Like Mark said, they are front wheel drive. The engine is mounted longitudinally rather than transverse, so there are differences with the Golf/Jetta arrangement. The manifolds are different, and they had 1 or 2 hp less than the turbodiesel Jettas and Golfs. The car is heavier too.

There's not a lot of performance suspension stuff for the Quantum (B platform), but any suspension for the Audi 4000 FWD cars will usually work on the Quantum as well.

Basically, follow the same ideas you use on a Golf or Jetta. Diesels like lighter weight wheels and tires, and less weight anywhere else you can make things lighter. A big exhaust will help the turbo spool up better. Wastegate mods and an intercooler will help with power. Watch exhaust gas temps, and keep the fuel flowing for more power.

I think the rear axle beam is the same as on the A2 platform. I'm not 100% sure, though. If it is, then a GTI rear axle beam with the thicker stabilizer bar would help, too.

Reply #3October 09, 2004, 08:48:58 pm

VWRacer

• Veteran

Engine used in Quantum?
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 08:48:58 pm »
The only diesel the Quantum ever came with in the USA was the 4-cyl 1.6 TD.
Stan
C-Sports Racer

Reply #4October 10, 2004, 12:06:58 am

moosiah

• Junior

qwarks for quantums
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 12:06:58 am »
Hi all ,,, I just pulled an engine from a quantum.......It had a k034 turbo which I noted is smaller than the k024 on my 84 jetta engine......also the top on the LDA is different too....... I spend a fair amount of time poking around the "pic an'pull yards around here .... :idea: .... I ran into a guy pulling audi 5000 4wd stuff to stick under a 4000.....( Its way stronger dude,,, 5 lug!!!.:shock:..)..... I don't know if the quantum floor pan is the same as the a 4000 4wd ........ a trip to a yard with both  ( take a ruler!!!)  could be fun.......by the way the rear disks from a A2GTI  will bolt on the quantum ,,,,, my franken bunny has the rear drums from a quantum on it now........ :D
how close to Nor Cal do you live????? we 've got  16 pic an' pull yards here around the SF bay area now........ 2 bucks to get in stay all day playing mix an' match AND the 2 bucks is good for as many of the pic an pul yards as you can drive to in a day......... :lol:
'81 Frankenbunny: part rabbit, sirroco, golf ,caddy cabrio ,jedda and ! ford teimpo! w a little more Audi and soon some Peogeot too!!!!

S-PAutomotive.com