Author Topic: oil pan gasket  (Read 2035 times)

October 08, 2004, 02:49:21 pm

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

oil pan gasket
« on: October 08, 2004, 02:49:21 pm »
Just picked up my oil pan gasket from the dealer.  Didn't know if many knew this or not so I figured I would post it. The gasket is $27, and is the same type as the rubber one that goes on the valve cover.  It is sweet. Fits great and seals well, not that oil pan gaskets ever leak much anyway. But if you have problems like myself and are pulling the pan down often then this reuseable gasket would work great.  Just some info. :D

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #1October 09, 2004, 11:03:02 am

racer_x

• Junior

oil pan gasket
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 11:03:02 am »
How did you get the two bolts on the transmission end of the engine in? That's always the challenge when messing with the oil pan gasket.

My trick is to use some RTV silicone to glue the bolts to the pan and put a couple of the other bolts in so they just catch to hold the pan in place, then tighten the two bolts sandwiched between the engine and transmission with a 1/4" drive socket and a universal joint.

Reply #2October 09, 2004, 07:11:23 pm

janb

• Junior

oil pan gasket
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 07:11:23 pm »
you can also use the 'windage tray' gasket combo, that the GTI's use, to get the molded version

for the rear bolts, I use Socket head cap screws, and a ball driver. I have had to do several this year that way.

Getting the old ones out seems to work with a std 1/4" drive socket and extension, but they are tough to start.
The Stealth Rabbit
VW-d's are forever

Reply #3October 10, 2004, 04:39:28 pm

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

oil pan gasket
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 04:39:28 pm »
I just used a universal and socet with the bolts and they just started and went right in, no problems. I have had the pan down twice now and no problems with those bolts.  If this smoking/oil consumption doesn't stop then the pan will be down again for a third time along with the head and various other parts removed to see what is up with all the smoke and oil useage.  I'm hopeing for a miricle and that it will just stop smoking and the oil consumption will go away.  I know keep dreaming, but one can dream right???? :)
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Fixmyvw.com