S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Acceleration ?  (Read 2504 times)

October 06, 2004, 11:11:30 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Acceleration ?
« on: October 06, 2004, 11:11:30 am »
Other than burning more fuel than you would normaly, does running up 1st and 2nd gear to the redline/revlimiter cause any problems.  I have been running my 91 TD jetta that way some lately, more so to get ahead of traffic.  Just was wondering. Does this really put a strain on the head gasket?  I remember back in 1980 it seemed like we were going through head gaskets left and right in our 79 rabbit diesel. I of course wasn't driving it then and my mom never really ran it hard.

Oh before I forget, I noticed my output shaft seals on the tranny starting to seep some gear oil out of the transmittion.  How hard are they to change out?  Do I need special tools and are those seals a dealer item only? I figure since one is leaking I may as well just change them both out and be done with it.
Thanks.

AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #1October 06, 2004, 04:45:25 pm

racer_x

• Junior

Re: Acceleration ?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 04:45:25 pm »
Quote from: "Rat407"
Other than burning more fuel than you would normaly, does running up 1st and 2nd gear to the redline/revlimiter cause any problems.  I have been running my 91 TD jetta that way some lately, more so to get ahead of traffic.  Just was wondering. Does this really put a strain on the head gasket?  I remember back in 1980 it seemed like we were going through head gaskets left and right in our 79 rabbit diesel. I of course wasn't driving it then and my mom never really ran it hard.
The early (pre-1982) diesels had problems with the smaller head bolts. The 1983 and later (and some 1982) engines have 12mm head bolts that are stronger than the older ones.

Oh before I forget, I noticed my output shaft seals on the tranny starting to seep some gear oil out of the transmittion.  How hard are they to change out?  Do I need special tools and are those seals a dealer item only? I figure since one is leaking I may as well just change them both out and be done with it.
Thanks.
You probably want to fix that. The seal kits are about $12-$13. You can get them from Peter at thescirocco.com, or from Adirondack.

There is a "special tool" for putting the drive flange back on. It's spring loaded. You can make a tool with a piece of 1/4"x1" bar stock about 4" long with a 3/8" hole in the middle, a M10x1.50 fully threaded bolt about 100mm long and a matching nut. Thread the nut all the way onto the bolt, then put the bolt through the hole in the bar. The bolt screws into the center of the diff shaft, and you back the nut down against the bar to press the drive flange onto the splines.

Reply #2October 06, 2004, 07:56:54 pm

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Acceleration ?
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 07:56:54 pm »
Thanks for all the helpfull information just one more thing.

If it needs the special tool to push it on, how in the heck do you get it off with out damaging it?  Do I need a special puller or will it just pry off with two big pry bars?
Thanks
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #3October 06, 2004, 08:51:26 pm

racer_x

• Junior

Acceleration ?
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 08:51:26 pm »
Thanks for all the helpfull information just one more thing.

If it needs the special tool to push it on, how in the heck do you get it off with out damaging it?  Do I need a special puller or will it just pry off with two big pry bars?
Thanks

There's a circlip in the center that holds it on. The seal kits will also include a new circlip.

The best way to take it off is to install the "special tool" and take up all the slack and press the flange on slightly, then release the circlip, then back off the nut on the tool to release the tension on the spring. Sometimes, you have to tap the center bolt of you tool lightly with a hammer to get the thing to come loose. Very rarely, you'll need to use a puller on the flange to get the splines loose. It's best to fit the puller over the tool so that the thing doesn't  "explode" from the spring tension when the splines finally release.

Reply #4October 06, 2004, 09:25:55 pm

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Acceleration ?
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 09:25:55 pm »
Ok now I understand.  Thanks.  I'm sure glad I found this site.  When I'm all done the jetta will be just about brand new. Now if only I can figure out my zero oil pressure problem. :D
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #5October 07, 2004, 01:17:20 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Re: Acceleration ?
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 01:17:20 am »
Other than burning more fuel than you would normaly, does running up 1st and 2nd gear to the redline/revlimiter cause any problems.  

It'll take it.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #6October 07, 2004, 08:53:41 am

BlackTieTD

• Veteran

Acceleration ?
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 08:53:41 am »
:lol: the doc knows.

i blew the HG in my 1.5 diesel too... now i have the 1.6TD like in your 91 jetta and its holding up great, and i drive it much harder than i did the 1.5.... the doc showed me what these engines can take  :lol: