Author Topic: Newby 1.6 NA Questions  (Read 2403 times)

October 05, 2004, 07:01:44 pm

shakakan

• User+

Newby 1.6 NA Questions
« on: October 05, 2004, 07:01:44 pm »
Hey guys, I am an experienced mechanic, but never tuned anything that doesn't use an ignition coil(except for tractors).  My question is  What would be the most effective, cost and otherwise, way of improving a 1.6 NA without forced induction?  Could someone please point me to a step-by-step how-to for injection pump adjustments, govenor mods, etc.

Reply #1October 06, 2004, 03:22:42 am

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Newby 1.6 NA Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 03:22:42 am »
do a search on Superior Fuel Inection.  :D
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #2October 06, 2004, 06:30:52 am

racer_x

• Junior

Newby 1.6 NA Questions
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 06:30:52 am »
Check out my post at http://vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=490#3369.

There is a link there for a timing procedure that helps a bit. I wish I had a picture of the back of the pump to show the full load fueling adjustment, but I don't. That's a simple screwdriver adjustment on the outside of the pump.

Governor mods and timing advance mods involve opening the pump and making internal modifications. This is not recommended for a beginner (though everyone who does it had to do it a first time).

The other suggestions in my post on that other thread are all fairly simple as well. They won't make the thing as powerful as a turbodiesel, but they will make the car less slow and more fun to drive.

Reply #3October 06, 2004, 09:14:50 am

shakakan

• User+

Newby 1.6 NA Questions
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2004, 09:14:50 am »
I am not scared of taking the pump apart.  I'm sure I could get it back together right, just don't know what I need to change to make it more powerfull.

Reply #4October 07, 2004, 11:01:16 am

racer_x

• Junior

Newby 1.6 NA Questions
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 11:01:16 am »
Quote from: "shakakan"
I am not scared of taking the pump apart.  I'm sure I could get it back together right, just don't know what I need to change to make it more powerfull.
Well, personally I recommend changing the full load fueling and the injection timing first. Those mods are pretty simple and will give you a feel for what you are working with.

If you want to rebuild the pump or moidify the internals, go for it. The mods inside the pump are more involved. There's a couple of books about the Bosch diesel injection pumps and I would highly recommend finding one and reading it thoroughly before you dive into rebuilding or modifying one of these pumps.

I think there's a thread on this site somewhere about doing the governor mod. And I think modifying the timing advance curves is somewhat similar to recurving a distributor for a gasser. But I've never actually taken a Bosch pump apart and done the internal mods myself, so I don't know much about how to do those mods.