S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: Found my oil consumption problem!  (Read 7296 times)

May 04, 2004, 06:03:07 pm

fspGTD

Found my oil consumption problem!
« on: May 04, 2004, 06:03:07 pm »
Hey guys I found my oil consumption problem!  Earlier, I wasn't sure if my oil consumption had gone up from extending my engine's revv-limiter and racing it like that or if it was something else to blame (another suspect was the amsoil 5w30 motor oil I also had put in there at around the same time, replacing my trusty mobil delvac 1 5w40).  When returning from Topeka last September, the oil consumption was higher than normal which set off a red flag for me.

Anyway, just today I found that my oil filter wasn't completely tight.   :shock:   Anyway, that probably explains the additional "oil consumption" issue, and I just wanted to pass on the good news...  extending the revv limiter does not necessarily cause engine damage.  :)  I will of course keep on monitoring to make sure it returns to normal low levels.

Jake
fspGTD
'81 Rabbit 1.6lTD Autocrosser, SCCA FSP class

Reply #1May 05, 2004, 04:20:50 pm

Turbo DS

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 04:20:50 pm »
Good to know your car is doing well, and that it was only the oil filter.  I am sure we were all a bit worried about the increase oil consumption.

Reply #2May 06, 2004, 12:13:20 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 12:13:20 pm »
Quote from: "Turbo DS"
Good to know your car is doing well, and that it was only the oil filter.  I am sure we were all a bit worried about the increase oil consumption.

Yeah... the symptoms were very odd.  Thinking back now, I can remember a couple of occasions where the oil light stayed on after cold start longer than I thought it should.  I think when it cooled down the oil filter allowed oil to drain out and air in, or something like that.  Apparently it sealed up pretty well because I drove something like 1600 + miles on it from Seattle to Topeka and back and never lost all my oil (did have to add a little bit of course here and there.)

Side note: My '81 Rabbit originally had a horn mounting bracket right near the oil filter.  This made it really hard after the turbo-diesel swap (with the oil cooler spacing down the oil filter) to get good grip on the oil filter.  Well I finally hacksawed off that horn mounting bracket, and switched to a bolt-on '84 style horn mounting bracket in a more reasonable location (over towards the driver's side of the lower radiator support more.)  It is much easier to access and torque the oil filter now, and that old horn bracket has drawn blood from my hand for the last time now.  (I showed that horn bracket a thing or two, didn't I!   :lol:)  I just can't believe how long I put up with that thing before I realized I should move it!
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Reply #3May 19, 2004, 05:40:46 am

Rat407

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

Re: Found my oil consumption problem!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2004, 05:40:46 am »
(another suspect was the amsoil 5w30 motor oil I also had put in there at around the same time, replacing my trusty mobil delvac 1 5w40).  

Is that the Series 3k 5w-30 your running?  I was considering that. It is easier for me to get than the Delvac 1.  How do you like it. I have been told it is a pretty good oil.  Helps keep the engine clean like most synthetics.
AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants & Filtration Systems, Click Here
Wholesale pricing available!
1991 Jetta  ECO TD

Reply #4May 19, 2004, 03:03:49 pm

fspGTD

• Veteran

• http://home.comcast.net/~vwgtd
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2004, 03:03:49 pm »
I think it was that series 3000 stuff.  It had the good diesel ratings (CI-4) and was new.  Anyhow, possibly was a little thin at high temp.

I like the Delvac 1 5W40.  I measured a ~3% fuel economy / efficiency benefit of the Delvac 1 over a standard (non-synthetic) 15W40 oil, and also I have done oil analysis on a 10k drain interval with the stuff and there was no problems running it at that interval (changing the oil filter with an OEM filter at 5k, that is, 2x per oil change.)  This is all on a 1.6lTD solid lifter motor that I am running.
Jake Russell
'81 VW Rabbit GTD Autocrosser 1.6lTD, SCCA FSP Class
Dieselicious Turbocharger Upgrade/Rebuild Kits

Fixmyvw.com