S-PAutomotive.com

Author Topic: air leaks into fuel system (84 rabbit)  (Read 4562 times)

October 01, 2004, 11:07:45 am

tigerprawn16v

air leaks into fuel system (84 rabbit)
« on: October 01, 2004, 11:07:45 am »
hey there, im a huge diesel n00b so please dont hold it against me, i love this little bastard...when it runs.

tried posting on vortex a while ago but didnt really fix it, so i figured i'd try here.

anyways, i've got air bubbles in the clear poly line that stop the engine from starting...ive totally bled the system, dragged it behind the truck to get it all cleared out and running. worked great for about 4 hours. i restarted the car a few times and all was well, but i let it sit overnight and air slowly leaked back and it wouldn't start again.

if i bleed the system by cracking the injector lines and cranking, the air bubbles move into the injection pump and apparantly stay there, as when i tighten the lines again and stop cranking, the air bubbles flow backwards into the clear line and stay there.

i've replaced the injector overflow lines w/ new hose from vw and that stupid rubber endcap on the 4th injector, also the long return fuel line has been replaced. i inspected the clear styrene line and couldnt find any leaks there so i didnt replace that one. i've got a new fuel filter on there, and all my banjo bolts are tight.

i cant see any fuel leaking OUT from anywhere, just apparantly air leaking IN...

i need to get her running so i can work on my 16v project!!! i cant have 2 non runnings vws, it hurts me and makes me want to buy a toyota :(

any suggestions will help immensely!!

Reply #1October 01, 2004, 11:29:48 am

tigerprawn16v

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 11:29:48 am »
after doing a little reading apparantly it could be my shaft seal, as they wont always leak fuel out of the, but will suck air in?

off to a bosch dealer i guess...DOH...

only ones are about 45 minutes away :(

Reply #2October 01, 2004, 07:11:07 pm

RAMMSTEIN

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 07:11:07 pm »
http://www.diesel.org/pubs/directory/international_service_member_list.htm#Canada

Here's a list of all shops that could help ya buddy!!!! :D  :wink:  :!:  :arrow:  :idea:  :mrgreen:
Rammstein

In abscence of light, darkness prevails.

Reply #3October 01, 2004, 07:20:10 pm

tigerprawn16v

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 07:20:10 pm »
well, i found one of my "new" injector returns was cracked already, i must have screwed it up when i installed it  :oops:

new line, re bled, and bled, and bled, charged up the battery, replaced all the glow plugs and cleaned all the grounds, as well as bus bar contact....

VROOOOOOOOOM  (smoke smoke cought blue blue black cough)

ALICE THE WHITE RABBIT, IT RUNS AGAIN.

i'll never abuse her again! i swear.

S-PAutomotive.com