Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: Air Care Passing? vancouver.... Passed!  (Read 6731 times)

September 11, 2006, 10:01:07 pm

Chestrockwell

• Junior

Air Care Passing? vancouver.... Passed!
« on: September 11, 2006, 10:01:07 pm »
Now that I live in Vancouver (from Victoria) I need to get my car air cared appearantly. I've searched the forum and browsed quite a bit and found nothing. Car's got a 1.9 with t3 and Giles pump, straight exhaust, oh and it's '97 jetta. I think it would fail before any testing at all due to "tampering".... that's f'ing weak... catalytic converters are a croc of ***e. Anyways, anyone in lower mainland running a modified diesel through the air care without any problems? Any help would be much appreciated. Oh, and I'm not going to lie to my Victoria insurance agent about where I live; that would leave me screwed in the event of a crash.
peace,

Chester.

Reply #1September 12, 2006, 12:50:43 am

malone

• Administrator
  • Veteran

• Malone Tuning Ltd.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 12:50:43 am »
I live near Vancouver and I got my IDI Aircared in Abbotsford. They did check to see if I have a catalytic converter. For diesel vehicles Aircare only tests the exhaust opacity, i.e. visible smoke. If you exceed 30% exhaust opacity, then you fail. During the test they'll either rev your engine in neutral or they'll drive your car on rollers, alternating engine RPM & load. They did the neutral revving thing in my car because the car was too low for the rollers.

The average exhaust opacity of passing diesels is 6.0-6.8% if I remember correctly. My IDI had more modifications than you have and I got around 40% the first time and finally 2 to 3% on the second try a few months later. The 40% was due to my brand new engine not being broken in yet.

Just adjust your LDA and fuel screw until you don't smoke much, if at all. It doesn't matter if it's slow, as long you pass. It's not really that hard. If you don't have a cat, then you might be rejected.

Seeing as you have a Giles pump your car should still perform well with the LDA totally disconnected, so I'd unplug the LDA hose and see if your smoke is eliminated at all throttle & RPM ranges.

edit: Stop at Autogas near Alex Fraser Bridge in Delta (10128 Nordel Court) and fill up your car with B20 or B40. Biodiesel will reduce visible smoke. Note: I would try B40 only once unless your fuel lines and seals in the injection pump are replaced with bio-diesel resistant material.
http://www.tunezilla.com
93 Eurovan AHU TDI
96 Golf 1.9L ASV TDI - I bought it back!
97 Golf Variant Syncro 1.9L 1Z TDI - sold and missed
11 Golf 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Stage 4
14 Golf Wagon 2.0L CJAA TDI DSG - Sold
17 BMW 328d wagon - Sold
09 BMW 335d 3.0L

Reply #2September 12, 2006, 02:07:41 am

LeeG

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 02:07:41 am »
Make sure its nice and hot when you take it there.  My 1.6 chugs back a good 2 litres of lube oil per 1000km and it has yet to fail.  All I do is take it for testing after the commute home.  

Last time around they were poking under the car with lights and mirrors and I asked what she were looking for.  'catalytic converter' was the answer.  When I told her it didnt have one she said it was an automatic failure.  I told her it was a diesel and didnt need one and she looked embarrased, then went ahead and tested it, didnt go check to see if it came with one or not.
YMMV.  The side pipe may make them over enthusiastic.  But if it has something that looks like a cat, they probably wont even comment on the rest of it.  You can probably find a empty cat shell cheap at any number of exhaust shops and it looks like you already know how to weld!

My car does smoke less on the B20/B40.

Dont de-power it too much.  That same test as above, first time she ran it on the dyno it failed as 'underpowered'.  But the girl was too short to get the gas pedal to the floor and too clueless to figure out how to move the seat.  She redid the test almost lying down, cranening her head up to see the computer and managed a decent score: 14/30
'97 Passat TDI

Reply #3September 12, 2006, 09:55:07 am

commuter boy

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 09:55:07 am »
Consider getting a test pipe/cat converter setup.  Swap in the cat for testing, bolt back the test pipe when done.

Magnaflow makes universal 2 stage diesel cats in all sizes, about a hundred bucks.

Other than that, run bio, turn down the smoke screw, and you should be fine, except for your blood pressure spiking as you watch the Aircare jockeys abuse your car on the rolling platform

Reply #4September 12, 2006, 11:05:28 am

935racer

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 11:05:28 am »
(Cough) I know a guy who just welds on cat heat shields to the exhaust to make it appear that there is a cat there on lowered diesel cars(cough)

Reply #5September 12, 2006, 02:50:50 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 02:50:50 pm »
in pennsylvania diesel don't need emissions haha, my inspection costs 12.50 each year, hahahaha.  but my buddys dad owns a shop  :roll:
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #6September 12, 2006, 06:46:15 pm

SMOKEYDUB

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 06:46:15 pm »
it cost me close to 35 bucks every 2 yrs to get mine tested. and the only thing they did was pop the hood to make sure it was a diesel and wrote a pass. in ontario its just an idle test and they dont use test equipment they just look for smoke. i freaked out on the guy when he poped my hood ( he was pokin around in there. :?
12mm PUMP 'O' DEATH on a 1.6L
(courtesy of GILES)

2000 NISSAN XTERRA (5 SPD)
1990 VW JETTA 20 VALVE DRAG CAR
1984 RABBIT TD 2dr (SOLD)
1.8t AEB soon around 550 whp

Reply #7September 12, 2006, 09:22:20 pm

MacGyver

• Junior

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 09:22:20 pm »
That's about right for Ontario. My first test on my 97 was done from the guy's chair. He leaned over & looked out the door @ my running car.
"Volkswagen ,eh?"
Me:"Yep."
"Diesel, eh?"
Me: "Yep."
"Exhaust tight on that thing?"
Me:"Yep."
"$35 please."
Me  :roll:

Next time another place, they put a kid on it, he actually did the full 5 minute test. Car passed with straight exhaust, studded tires, CEL on, and EGR disconnected :P

For BC Aircare, I like the welding idea mentioned above, and see if you can find out which testing stations might be a bit more lax than others. For the visual stuff, just a matter of finding the lazy guy that won't check close :D

Reply #8September 12, 2006, 10:48:05 pm

commuter boy

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 10:48:05 pm »
The BC Aircare staff are generally overpaid idjits.  I'm sure there's a few competent ones there, but I've had a lot of bad experiences.

Once a guy, and his supervisor, were adamant that my VW Fox's round shaped cat wasn't a cat, but that I had replaced it with a second resonator to "save money".

Never mind that the entire exhaust system was in the same rusty state, or that the car PASSED the emissions test first go round with flying colours.

I finally had to get a printout from Etka to show them that indeed, it did have a round shaped cat.

A fookin day of my life wasted to those guys......

Reply #9September 13, 2006, 11:08:25 pm

coke

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 11:08:25 pm »
They sound like lazy undereducated slobs.

Reply #10September 14, 2006, 01:18:02 am

935racer

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 01:18:02 am »
BC aircare is a joke. Thats why "this guy" I know tucks his exhaust into the tunnel so that all you can see is the CAT heat shield... which of course is just welded to a straight pipe :lol:

One of the few exceptions where I love union bumbs.

Reply #11September 14, 2006, 02:16:11 am

zagarus

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 02:16:11 am »
im just gonna stay up in kamloops where there is no air care...We smoke till the sun don't shine!  :lol:  :lol:
Project 1.9TD Jetta Coupe Completed. Back in action!

Reply #12September 14, 2006, 02:17:59 am

coke

• Veteran

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 02:17:59 am »
Yes. Live in the land of Big Smoke. :)

Reply #13September 14, 2006, 02:20:31 am

zagarus

• Veteran

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 02:20:31 am »
hope aircare doesn't migrate up here in the future.
Project 1.9TD Jetta Coupe Completed. Back in action!

Reply #14September 14, 2006, 10:02:54 am

935racer

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 10:02:54 am »
I had a customer drop off his NA 1.6 caddy about a year ago to get a turbo conversion, full exhaust, oil cooler etc. There was no insurance on the truck, when he cam to pick it up he drove it straight to kamloops from my shop (about 3 hours) and registered the truck there for cheaper insurance and no aircare, in his friends name, who lives in a psych ward in kamloops....

Talk about a series of bad ideas :?

S-PAutomotive.com