Author Topic: MY FUEL "ADJUSTMENT" ADVENTURE!!!!  (Read 3080 times)

September 29, 2004, 05:07:23 pm

Topherdiesel

• Junior

MY FUEL "ADJUSTMENT" ADVENTURE!!!!
« on: September 29, 2004, 05:07:23 pm »
Well, after carefully reading smogs suggestions, and completing the previous mods, I decided it was time to giver her a little more fuel.

The first part was easy, off came the plastic clip, the second part was harder, as the metal "RING" could be better described as a metal sleeve, anyhoo, off she came.  

So then I loosened the 13mm off, and gave her 300 rpm more fuel, DONE!

Next I went to lower the idle, however I went too far, and unscrewed the idle adjust screw right off the part it screws into!!!

Ok, so i got it back on, then I backed off the "residual fuel" screw, but couldnt QUITE get my idle down, the lowest it would go was 1050 rpms, as opposed to 950 before.

Anyhoo, I take her for a rip, and HOLY CRAP, what  difference, feels like a TDI off the line, maybe even a little more up top!!!!

WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Crap, hahaha, with more power, comes more slippage!!!
Felt great, but the clutch didnt like it, so back went the settings.

I go to loosed the 13mm, wrench touches the WIRE, just the WIRE, for the fuel shutoff solenoid, and pop, off goes the motor.

I check the solenoid for power, NONE!!
Crap I say, TABARNAC for the Francophones, JUST as I am about to call the dealer, I look under the fuse panel, and sure enough, thankfully I popped the fuse, swap it out, and fire her up.

I THINK i have the settings about right, idle is back down, clutch no longer slips.

So the moral of the story, DO THIS MOD AND BE FAST(for a diesel) AND HELP ME BUY A NEW CLUTCH!!!!!

Hahah, so the question is...which clutch can I buy to help with the newfound power???
Any 020 clutch should work right, so i was thinking corrado g60 clutch would be the strongest????

Ideas???

Reply #1September 29, 2004, 06:56:47 pm

racer_x

• Junior

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 06:56:47 pm »
The Corrado G60's had 02A transmissions, not 020's. So those clutches won't work (at least not without major modifications).

A 210mm setup with the 3 strap 16V pressure plate is probably the strongest you can get. Just be sure to use the 8V clutch disc or it won't fit your transmission.

Reply #2September 29, 2004, 07:51:48 pm

Topherdiesel

• Junior

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2004, 07:51:48 pm »
Could you simplify that for me!!!
What do I need to get???

Reply #3September 29, 2004, 08:43:12 pm

racer_x

• Junior

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2004, 08:43:12 pm »
OK. I'll try to simplify, but it's not easy.

You want a flywheel from a 1.8L 8V engine, and the matching clutch. You can use that pressure plate as well. You'll also need new flywheel bolts (they are different from the bolts on the 200mm flywheel) and new pressure plate bolts. If you take it that far apart, it's probably a good idea to change the rear main seal, too, and to replace the seals in the bell housing on the transmission (input shaft seal, clutch pushrod seal and bushing). You don't want things to leak oil or gear lube on your new clutch, and all the labor for changing those seals is done to replace the clutch and pressure plate. It's just a couple more bolts to change the rear main seal, and just a matter of pulling the seals and replacing them on the transmission.

There used to be a stronger pressure plate that was used on the 16V engines. It's the same size (210mm) as the 1.8L 8V pressure plate, but it had stronger springs and 3 straps instead of just one. That gave more clamping force and allowed it to hold even more torque.

Lately, VW only sells one pressure plate for both 16V and 8V applications, and most aftermarket vendors are the same now. So finding a real 16V pressure plate isn't easy. Some places still charge more for a "16V" pressure plate, but it's often the same pressure plate they sell for less and call an 8V pressure plate.

Reply #4September 30, 2004, 12:05:14 am

Topherdiesel

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 12:05:14 am »
Whats the strongest clutch I can use with MY flywheel?
just the stock one?

Reply #5September 30, 2004, 01:15:06 am

ricosuave

• Junior

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 01:15:06 am »
so you did the smog a3 mod?  have you intercooled?
Now: 00 2dr Golf TDI, 03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 02 2500HD Duramax - :)
Then: 69 SC Transporter, 84 Rabbit GTI, 87 Fox GL, 91 Golf IDI, 96 Passat Wagon TDI, 97 Jetta IDI - :(
"Everything I save by driving diesel I put back due to poor German engineering and crappy Mexican workmanship!"   :P

Reply #6September 30, 2004, 07:57:44 am

Topherdiesel

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 07:57:44 am »
I did it all but cranking the boost and intercooling...

Mines a 93, so I already have PERMABOOST! :twisted:
Hehehe
So then I did the wiring mod, and it was all good.

But then I adjusted the fueling, and WOW did it ever feel good.
I was truly surprised and impressed, and so was my clutch!

SO now fueling is back to stock, until i do a clutch!

Fixmyvw.com