Fixmyvw.com

Author Topic: 1.6L solid lifter engine Tuning  (Read 6073 times)

September 28, 2004, 10:21:01 pm

Turbo Turtle

1.6L solid lifter engine Tuning
« on: September 28, 2004, 10:21:01 pm »
I really like this site.
i made anoter post asking on how to get more power out of a 1.6 but all i got was all this stuff about 1.9L turbo diesels
PLEASE HELP!!
Sorry if im a pain
im new to the forum

Little Mikey

1981 rabbit pickup 1.6TD
1992 Lada Niva
1985 Rabbit cov
1988 jetta coupe

Reply #1September 29, 2004, 06:36:42 am

racer_x

• Junior

Re: 1.6L solid lifter engine Tuning
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2004, 06:36:42 am »
Quote from: "Turbo Turtle"
I really like this site.
i made anoter post asking on how to get more power out of a 1.6 but all i got was all this stuff about 1.9L turbo diesels
PLEASE HELP!!
Sorry if im a pain
im new to the forum

Which engine do you have? What car is it in?

If you have the normally asthmatic 1.6D, there isn't a whole lot you can do for more power. But there are other mods that are worthwhile that will make the car quicker.

Engine mods to increase power slightly:

* Increase full load fueling. This is done with an adjustment on the injection pump.
* Advance injection timing. Check http://groups.google.com/g...shmail.com for a good timing procedure that doesn't require you to have a dial indicator setup and delivers a little more advance and a little more power than stock.
* Increase airflow. Use the Genuine VW filter for a turbodiesel. It fits the N/A airbox, but it has more filter media area so it flows more air. There's also a K&N filter available. You can also run a 3" pipe into the airbox and use some 3" flexible hose to get air to it. If yours has AC, the easiest way to get air is from the "rain gutter" area which has cool, high pressure air, especially  when driving at highway speeds. I use that and it's sort of a "cowl induction" setup. If you don't have AC, going forward to the grill area in front of/beside the radiator also works. That gives you cool air and a ram air effect as well.

Porting and polishing the head might help, too, but the gain wouldn't be worth the effort. If you have a head gasket failure, it's something to consider when you do the gasket. Port matching the intake ports to the gasket, and the end of the intake manifold to the gasket is definitely worth doing. You can also polish both the intake port and the exhaust port to a mirror finish. That's different from a gasser where you usually don't want the intake ports polished to a mirror finish. On the diesel, a mirror finish in the intake helps flow. Take the polishing all the way up the intake manifold runners if you can.

Then, there's other mods that don't make more power, but will make the car quicker by using the limited power more efficiently.

* Use "Energy conserving" motor oil and use synthetic lube in the transmission.

* If you have the 200mm clutch/flywheel setup, use the 190mm flywheel with your 200mm clutch and pressure plate (the 190mm flywheel is  lighter), or if you have the 210mm setup, install a lightened flywheel.

* Use lighter wheels and tires. Some good, light weight 13" alloys and some light weight tires in 175/70-13 or 195/60-13 or 185/60-13 will help acceleration. Stick with lower speed rated tires (S is plenty) because higher speed ratings often weigh a lot more. Using 185/60-13's shortens the tires by almost 1.0", lowering the car slightly (better handling), and taking more revolutions to cover the same distance (effectively lower gearing, helps acceleration, hurts gas mileage, makes speedo read faster than you are actually traveling). 195/60-13's shorten the tires by almost 0.5".

* Turn brake rotors down to near minimum thickness

* Swap to rear disc brakes. Lower rotating inertia of the rear discs helps acceleration. Higher total unsprung weight hurts handling, though, so this isn't as good as it could be. If you stick with drums, try to find someone who knows how to arch shoes. If you can, turn the drums to near max diameter and get the shoes arched to match. If you can't get the shoes arched to match, don't turn the drums. If the shoes don't match, the braking suffers badly, the shoes glaze and there are major problems.

* Reduce weight everywhere you can. A header (with good bracing) is lighter than the cast iron manifold. If you have power steering and can drive without it, that weighs and takes precious engine power to operate. You being in Canada, you can probably live without air conditioning, too. The AC weighs a lot and takes power to turn, especially when it's on.

* If you keep the AC, wire a full throttle switch to cut power to the compressor clutch. That way when you floor it, the AC will shut off automagically and turn back on when you let up on the pedal.

* Rabbit GTI rear suspension helps handling. So will some decent gas charged strut cartridges and rear shocks. You don't notice the poor acceleration as much if you don't slow down as much for the corners.

Reply #2September 30, 2004, 11:27:57 am

Turbo Turtle

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2004, 11:27:57 am »
its out of an 86 or so its a solid lifter. its been bored out with new pistons so the engine is like new
i have the choise of using a Garret or a KKK turbo which one is better??
ive heard that the kkk has a smaller exhaust turbine so it spools up quicker. is this true
the engine is going in a 81 Rabbit Pick-up
thanks for all the help

Ohh and  it is a 1.6L turbo diesel
Little Mikey

1981 rabbit pickup 1.6TD
1992 Lada Niva
1985 Rabbit cov
1988 jetta coupe

Reply #3September 30, 2004, 10:12:26 pm

Turbo Turtle

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2004, 10:12:26 pm »
thanks for all the help guys. :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :(
Little Mikey

1981 rabbit pickup 1.6TD
1992 Lada Niva
1985 Rabbit cov
1988 jetta coupe

Reply #4October 01, 2004, 08:01:46 pm

racer_x

• Junior

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 08:01:46 pm »
Quote from: "Turbo Turtle"
its out of an 86 or so its a solid lifter. its been bored out with new pistons so the engine is like new
i have the choise of using a Garret or a KKK turbo which one is better??
ive heard that the kkk has a smaller exhaust turbine so it spools up quicker. is this true
the engine is going in a 81 Rabbit Pick-up
thanks for all the help

Ohh and  it is a 1.6L turbo diesel

Disclaimer: I'm much more familiar with the normally asthmatic 1.6D than the 1.6TD's. I've never actually owned a TD.

There are differences between the KKK and the Garret turbo. One spools up a little quicker, but has less potential maximum boost. I think the Garret spins up quicker and the KKK has greater potential boost, but someone else would probably know that better.

But for mods for power, there are a few other mods that you can do with the turbodiesel that will get you more power.

- Add an intercooler
- Modify the wastegate control to increase boost. You also have to modify or block the pressure release valve on the intake (popoff valve or blow off valve).
- Fueling and timing adjustments at the injection pump.

With a turbodiesel, an EGT guage is very important if you start playing with higher boost. But if you are careful, you can get up to 90-100hp and around 150 ft. lbs. of torque with a few simple mods and a minimal investment of money. And at that performance leve, the engine is still pretty reliable and will have a long service life.

Reply #5October 01, 2004, 09:49:23 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 09:49:23 pm »
do a search on injection pumps. specifically superior fuel injection pumps by Giles. Or, call him. 905-475-1122.  his pump alone gave a n/a diesel rabbit 22 hp more at the wheels.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

Reply #6October 03, 2004, 03:18:03 am

dieselpower

• Junior

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 03:18:03 am »
do you have access to a metal laithe? if you do take off a 3mm deep circle with a 25mm diameter...IIRC. and take out a shim on the timing advance spring. i also shimmed the govenor spring 1/16" and now it runs 15.9 1/4 mile @ 87 mph running 18 psi. I couldnt really tell you what i did but I hope this helps.
mark
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #7October 03, 2004, 12:20:32 pm

Artsi

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 12:20:32 pm »
Wouldn't adding a 3mm spacer under advance system cover (effectively elevating it off the mating pump surface) do the same trick?

Reply #8October 03, 2004, 03:45:14 pm

Turbo Turtle

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 03:45:14 pm »
hey i do have access to a lathe

any pics of this???
i dont know all the terms so if you could put them down to  :P
Little Mikey

1981 rabbit pickup 1.6TD
1992 Lada Niva
1985 Rabbit cov
1988 jetta coupe

Reply #9October 03, 2004, 04:56:26 pm

dieselpower

• Junior

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 04:56:26 pm »
sorry i have no pics at the moment.
but you can go here
http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=157
and it talks about what i did towards the end. i did the exact same thing as fspgtd. like i said im not sure how much more power i get from it because i did a couple things at the same time but it should help out in the higher rpms. if you need anymore info just ask.
84 rabbit 1.6TD
because real cars don't have sparkplugs

Reply #10October 04, 2004, 11:32:05 am

Red Rabbit

• Junior

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 11:32:05 am »
Hey Dr. Diesel.....does this 'superior fuel injection pump' have a negative impact on your MPG?, and if so, how much.....22HP is a wicked increase in power......Kevin......
No I am NOT in denial!!!!!

Reply #11October 04, 2004, 01:36:01 pm

RAMMSTEIN

• Veteran

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 01:36:01 pm »
Red Rabbit, the more you increase torque on a diesel, the more economical it becomes, remember that! :D

Ain't no silly gassers here! :twisted:
Rammstein

In abscence of light, darkness prevails.

Reply #12October 07, 2004, 09:10:38 am

Turbo Turtle

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 09:10:38 am »
What if i took pictures of every angle of the turbo and Injection Pump??
could you take it and say what everything is???

thanks
Little Mikey

1981 rabbit pickup 1.6TD
1992 Lada Niva
1985 Rabbit cov
1988 jetta coupe

Reply #13October 18, 2004, 10:19:12 am

ThumperTheRabbit

• http://www.Subaru-svx.net
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 10:19:12 am »
Quote from: "RAMMSTEIN"
Red Rabbit, the more you increase torque on a diesel, the more economical it becomes, remember that! :D

Ain't no silly gassers here! :twisted:

Really??? WOW... I didn't know that... I have a 1.6L NA Diesel in my 81 Rabbit... Not really looking to increase power all that much... Just want economy... Probabaly gonna have to take out the rear seats and all that stuff (reduce weight :) )
1981 VW Rabbit L Diesel -- 133k miles... 47mpg :):D

Reply #14October 18, 2004, 04:13:55 pm

Dr. Diesel

• Authorized Vendor
  • Veteran

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 04:13:55 pm »
86 should be hydraulic lifters, btw...
the giles pump improves MPG slightly.
I repair, maintain and modify VW's and BMW's.
Good work done at affordable rates. Welding and fabricating, too.
Performance Diesel Injection's Super Pump: gotta have one!

S-PAutomotive.com