Author Topic: turned some screws.... EGT's?  (Read 2870 times)

September 02, 2006, 01:26:12 am

BellCityDubber

• Veteran

turned some screws.... EGT's?
« on: September 02, 2006, 01:26:12 am »
Okay, I had a little time at the shop today, so I decided I muck about with my fueling, so I upped the fuel screw a bit, then turned down the idle stop screw on the top backside of the pump... (I hope I did that right)

and I rotated the aneroid pin / diaphram to what (I think) was the crazy taper side. And I rotated the starwheel about ~90 degrees clockwise..

I noticed a bit of a change, but not a whole lot.

what kind of ETG's would I be looking at (I haven't had the time or the money to get an EGT gauge yet) I thought turning up the fuel a marginal ammount would be okay... I'm running around 15 lbs max boost...

anyone?

Reply #1September 02, 2006, 08:17:42 am

Benjamin

• Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 08:17:42 am »
how much did you upped the quantityscrew ? (how much degrees or turns?)

Greetz, Benjamin
SMOG alert, engine running again!
Must make +250hp

Reply #2September 02, 2006, 10:15:56 am

BellCityDubber

• Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 10:15:56 am »
Quote from: Benjamin
how much did you upped the quantityscrew ? (how much degrees or turns?)

Greetz, Benjamin

Quantity screw, that would be the one with the locknut on it... the one on the side of the pump...

I cant actually recall, because I tried doing this once before and the FAQ had led me astray with which screws to readjust idle with...

this time I think I had gotten it right, and I've maybe turned it all of 30-45 degrees (not alot)

and the starwheel I think I turned about 90 degrees, I want to go more but I'm just not sure where to stop...

I dont have an EGT gauge, so I know I'm playing with fire...

Reply #3September 02, 2006, 12:26:38 pm

Benjamin

• Veteran

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 12:26:38 pm »
3. Using a key 13mm, give off the lock-nut of the screw #5 and turn the screw #5 until the rpm is of 300rpm moreover than your regular Idle. Tighten the lock-nut.

4. Readjust your Idle with its value of origin with the screw #7 (service idle adjuster) for those which do not have the conditioned air and the #8 (idle adjuster) for the lucky ones which have it.

IF Idle do not want to go down again or that when you release the pedal on the motorway and that the car does not seem "to compress" correctly, it is possible that you have to unscrew the screw #6 a little (residual fuel quantity adjuster).

If it is not fast yet enough for you, begin again at stage 3 while turning the screw #5 (max fueling adjuster) of a half turn at the same time.

Note that too much smoke = too much fuel = too high temperatures of combustion = not good...

Like the FAQ says, it may smoke but how much smoke is to much smoke, its the same question as how much egt's is the max...

Greetz, Benjamin
SMOG alert, engine running again!
Must make +250hp

Reply #4September 02, 2006, 06:33:40 pm

RabbitJockey

• Veteran

• Personal Text
    America, DUCK YEAH!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 06:33:40 pm »
i did a half turn on mine and that made a good difference while hardly increasing smoke
01 Jetta TDI 100% stock daily
81 Rabbit:TDI-M ported head, Frank06 cam, PD intake, hybrid T3 turbo, Renault intercooler, Syl20 11mm pump, light weight fw, and yellow California Clutch clutch kit

Reply #5September 03, 2006, 12:44:57 am

BellCityDubber

• Veteran

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 12:44:57 am »
Quote from: "Benjamin"

Like the FAQ says, it may smoke but how much smoke is to much smoke, its the same question as how much egt's is the max...

Yea, I see some smoke, not a lot. But it's enough to keep the tailgaters at bay.  And I dont have an EGT gague so I dont know how high my EGT's are...

anyone have any more info on a nominal EGT temp?

Reply #6September 05, 2006, 01:46:48 pm

veeman

• Veteran

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2006, 01:46:48 pm »
Your EGT's depend on a few factors including pump adjustments... Long run / full throttle?  Highway cruising? Exhaust size? max boost?    

Let's just say that on a full throttle, long pull you'd be hitting around 1200-1300 degrees F pre-turbo EGT... If you don't have a gauge, how would you verify the reading?  There are a few variables that affect temps, so it's somewhat difficult to give you an idea if you're safe or not.  

Personally, I'd keep your adjustments "conservative" until you get a gauge...  temps can skyrocket when you start adding fuel.
81 Caddy TD
98 Audi A4 Quattro V6 TDI
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #7September 05, 2006, 01:53:49 pm

BellCityDubber

• Veteran

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2006, 01:53:49 pm »
Quote from: "veeman"
Your EGT's depend on a few factors including pump adjustments... Long run / full throttle?  Highway cruising? Exhaust size? max boost?    

Let's just say that on a full throttle, long pull you'd be hitting around 1200-1300 degrees F pre-turbo EGT... If you don't have a gauge, how would you verify the reading?  There are a few variables that affect temps, so it's somewhat difficult to give you an idea if you're safe or not.  

Personally, I'd keep your adjustments "conservative" until you get a gauge...  temps can skyrocket when you start adding fuel.

I figured I'd do conservative adjustments for the meantime, but what kind of EGT's are people seeing that is "normal" or what number of EGTs are too high?

in my other post I'm working on doing various cooling (water and inter)
I'm hoping that those modifications will aid in bringing down EGT's. and once the aircraft spruce store opens up in toronto, I might go and get myself a egt gauge.

Reply #8September 05, 2006, 02:04:43 pm

veeman

• Veteran

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2006, 02:04:43 pm »
I figured I'd do conservative adjustments for the meantime, but what kind of EGT's are people seeing that is "normal" or what number of EGTs are too high?

If you do a search for this in the archives, I'm sure a bunch of different answers will come up, but in general, I've been told that it's best to stay below 1500 degrees F maximum (pre-turbo)  for extended periods of time.

In my car, I'm running 15psi with increased fuel, no intercooler, full 2.5" downpipe, and exhaust along with a few LDA mods...  I see about 1200 - 1250 F on a long pull each morning.  With other configurations, I've seen as high as 1350 F.  

When I cruise on the highway at 60 or 65 mph, I stay around 650-750 degrees F.   Around town, I'd say it averages about 400-600 degrees depending on whether I'm hammering on it.

An IC will definitely bring down EGT's.. maybe 100 or 150 degrees, I'm told.

Definitely get an EGT gauge...  How else would you be able to tell if your mods are effective?  It's money well spent.
81 Caddy TD
98 Audi A4 Quattro V6 TDI
83 VW GTI FSP
86 4ktq

Reply #9September 05, 2006, 02:12:15 pm

BellCityDubber

• Veteran

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2006, 02:12:15 pm »
Quote from: veeman

If you do a search for this in the archives, I'm sure a bunch of different answers will come up, but in general, I've been told that it's best to stay below 1500 degrees F maximum (pre-turbo)  for extended periods of time.

In my car, I'm running 15psi with increased fuel, no intercooler, full 2.5" downpipe, and exhaust along with a few LDA mods...  I see about 1200 - 1250 F on a long pull each morning.  With other configurations, I've seen as high as 1350 F.  

When I cruise on the highway at 60 or 65 mph, I stay around 650-750 degrees F.   Around town, I'd say it averages about 400-600 degrees depending on whether I'm hammering on it.

An IC will definitely bring down EGT's.. maybe 100 or 150 degrees, I'm told.

Definitely get an EGT gauge...  How else would you be able to tell if your mods are effective?  It's money well spent.

Well, I'm close to the same, I'm running 15psi with increased fuel, no intercooler, stock DP /w 2.5" exhaust , and starting with a few LDA mods...  

I'm also considering installing my EGT probe post turbo.... just to be safe... I know it's not as accurate but
1. I want to upgrade my DP, so I might as well do that at the same time
2. I can always remember I'd be ~300 degrees off from the gauge if I'm post turbo..

I just want to save my turbo